Re: Examples of natural selection generating CSI

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 18:03:15 EDT

    Reflectorites

    Sorry this is late too!

    On Fri, 6 Oct 2000 17:13:43 +0100, Richard Wein wrote:

    [...]

    RW>Stephen's long reply

    What was "long" about it? It was only 9k!

    RW>was in response to a statement that we have not yet
    >seen any demonstration of the existence of CSI.

    And I answered giving "the genetic code" as an example, quoting Dawkins:

            "After Watson and Crick, we know that genes themselves, within
            their minute internal structure, are long strings of pure digital
            information. What is more, they are truly digital, in the full and
            strong sense of computers and compact disks, not in the weak sense
            of the nervous system. The genetic code is not a binary code as in
            computers, nor an eight-level code as in some telephone systems,
            but a quaternary code, with four symbols. The machine code of the
            genes is uncannily computerlike. Apart from differences in jargon,
            the pages of a molecular-biology journal might be interchanged
            with those of a computer engineering journal." (Dawkins R., "River
            out of Eden," 1996, pp.19-20)

    So I am not sure what Richard is getting at here. Is he denying the very
    "existence of CSI" (i.e. "complex specified information")? What does
    Richard think his post is? Or his VISA card? Or his phone number?:

            "It follows that information can be both complex and specified.
            Information that is both complex and specified will be called
            *complex specified information*, or CSI for short. CSI is what all
            the fuss over information has been about in recent years, not just in
            biology but in science generally.

            It is CSI that for Manfred Eigen constitutes the great mystery of
            life's origin, and one he hopes eventually to unravel in terms of
            algorithms and natural laws. It is CSI that Michael Behe has
            uncovered with his irreducibly complex biochemical machines. It is
            CSI that for cosmologists underlies the fine-tuning of the universe
            and that the various anthropic principles attempt to understands It
            is CSI that David Bohm's quantum potentials are extracting when
            they scour the microworld for what Bohm calls "active
            information."' It is CSI that enables Maxwell's demon to outsmart a
            thermodynamic system tending toward thermal equilibriums It is
            CSI that for Roy Frieden unifies the whole of physics. It is CSI on
            which David Chalmers hopes to base a comprehensive theory of
            human consciousness. It is CSI that within the Kolmogorov-Chaitin
            theory of algorithmic information identifies the highly compressible,
            nonrandom strings of digits. How CSI gets from an organism's
            environment into an organism's genome is one of the long-standing
            questions addressed by the Santa Fe Institute.

            Nor is CSI confined to science. CSI is indispensable in our
            everyday lives. The sixteen-digit number on your VISA card is an
            example of CSI. The complexity of this number ensures that a
            would-be thief cannot randomly pick a number and have it turn out
            to be a valid VISA number. What's more, the specification of this
            number ensures that it is your number, and not anyone else's. Even
            your phone number constitutes CSI. As with the VISA number, the
            complexity ensures that this number won't be dialed randomly (at
            least not too often), and the specification ensures that this number
            is yours and yours only. All the numbers on our bills, credit slips
            and purchase orders represent CSI. CSI makes the world go round.

            (Dembski W.A., "Intelligent Design," 1999, pp.159-160. Emphasis
            Dembski's)

    RW>To quote Dembski:
    >
    >"Do the calculation. Take the numbers seriously. See if the underlying
    >probabilities really are small enough to yield design."

    Another reason for the delay of this combined post was that Richard
    AFAIK does not give a reference to where this quote came from, so I
    could check up the context. I have found it at last:

            "The fact is that the design inference does not yield design all that
            easily, especially if probabilistic resources are sufficiently generous.
            It is simply not the case that unusual and striking coincidences
            automatically generate design as the conclusion of a design
            inference. There is a calculation to be performed. *Do the
            calculation. Take the numbers seriously*." (Dembski W.A., "The
            Design Inference," 1998, p.228. Emphasis Dembski's)

    RW>So, where's the calculation?
    >
    >Dembski has never backed up his claims with any calculation.

    Again I am not sure what Richard's point is here. What "calculation" does
    Richard mean exactly? Dembski has not developed any special method of
    "calculation". He has developed a tool to evaluate the *results* of
    ordinary probabilistic calculations.

    On the very same page of TDI he makes this clear:

            "I stress again, *Do the probability calculation!* The design
            inference is robust and easily resists counter-examples blithe
            Shoemaker-Levy variety. Assuming, for instance, that the Apollo
            11 moon landing specifies the crash of Shoemaker-Levy into Jupiter
            (a generous concession at that), and that the comet could have
            crashed at any time within a period of a year, and that the comet
            crashed to the very second precisely 25 years after the moon
            landing, a straightforward probability calculation indicates that the
            probability of this coincidence is no smaller than 10^-8." (Dembski
            W.A., "The Design Inference," 1998, p.228. Emphasis
            Dembski's).

    Earlier in the book, and in fact also two pages earlier than this page
    Dembski refers to an example of such a "calculation", namely Caputo's
    vote-rigging fraud, and applies the design inference to it:

            "To appreciate what's at stake here, recall the case of Nicholas
            Caputo (cf. Section 1.2). Caputo, as the Democratic clerk from
            Essex County, New Jersey, selected the Democrats to head the
            ballot line forty out of forty-one times in his county. Caputo was
            supposed to have obtained his ballot line selections - which unduly
            favored his own political party - by chance. Nevertheless, if chance
            was responsible, Caputo succeeded in bringing about a specified
            event of probability one in fifty billion. An application of the design
            inference thus concluded that Caputo's ballot line selections were
            not due to chance but to design.". (Dembski W.A., "The Design
            Inference", 1998, p.226)

    Elsewhere Dembski refers to the "bacterial flagellum" being "a complex
    protein machine requiring over forty proteins each necessary for function"
    and he states "the CSI of a flagellum far exceeds 500 bits":

            "Michael Behe's irreducibly complex biochemical systems are a case
            in point. As we saw in section 5.7, irreducibly complex biochemical
            systems require numerous components specifically adapted to each
            other and each necessary for function. Such systems are both
            complex and specified, and therefore exhibit CSI. Consider now an
            organism that possesses an irreducibly complex biochemical
            system-for definiteness let's say it is a bacterial flagellum (i.e., the
            bidirectional outboard motor of a bacterium that propels it through
            solution). On a Darwinian view that organism evolved via selection
            and inheritance with modification from an organism without a
            flagellum. The flagellum is a complex protein machine requiring
            over forty proteins each necessary for function. For the Darwinian
            mechanism to produce the flagellum, chance modifications have to
            generate those various proteins and then selection must preserve
            them. But how is selection to accomplish this? Selection is
            nonteleological, so it cannot cumulate proteins, holding them in
            reserve until with the passing of many generations they're finally
            available to form a complete flagellum. The environment contains
            no blueprint of he flagellum which selection can extract and then
            transmit to an organism to form a flagellum. No, selection can only
            build on partial function, gradually improving function that already
            exists. But a flagellum without its full complement of protein parts
            doesn't function at all. Consequently if selection and inheritance
            with modification are going to produce the flagellum, they have to
            do it in one generation. But the CSI of a flagellum far exceeds 500
            bits. What's more, selection, if operating for only one generation,
            merely kills off organisms that lack some feature (in this case the
            flagellum). Selection operating for only one generation does not
            produce novelty-all the novelty is produced by random modification
            acting on inheritance. Whatever CSI the environment may hold,
            selection is therefore incapable of transmitting it in a single
            generation. Similarly, since selection is nonteleological, it can't
            transmit environmental CSI over multiple generations either. It
            follows that inheritance with modification has to produce a
            flagellum in a single generation. But this is infeasible. This is asking
            law and chance to produce over 500 bits of CSI. This would violate
            the law of conservation of information." (Dembski W.A.,
            "Intelligent Design," 1999, pp.177-178).

    Now I am not privy to all of Dembski's writings and so I am not sure if he has
    actually done the calculations to arrive at this "500 bits of CSI". But I
    would have thought that he wouldn't need to since: 1) it would be a standard
    information theory calculation that (for example) Yockey has carried out on
    other, less complex molecular systems; and 2) AFAIK no molecular biologist or
    information theorist has denied it.

    Indeed this "500 bits of CSI" would presumably be common ground even
    with *Dawkins*:

            "Again, this is characteristic of all animal and plant cells." Each
            nucleus, as we shall see in Chapter 5, contains a digitally coded
            database larger, in information content, than all 30 volumes of the
            Encyclopaedia Britannica put together. And this figure is for each
            cell, not all the cells of a body put together." (Dawkins R., "The
            Blind Watchmaker," 1991, pp.17-18).

    The fact that Richard denies it, is not something that I would have thought
    Dembski lies awake at night worrying about! :-)

    But just suppose that Dembski had actually done this "calculation"? What
    difference would that make to Richard or Wesley? None at all I presume!

    RW>Nor has he been
    >willing to clarify the method of the Design Inference. His silence on these
    >subjects is very telling.

    Again I am not sure what Richard's point is here. Dembski's book "the
    Design Inference" was AFAIK his Ph.D dissertation at the University of
    Chicago. It was published by Cambridge University Press.

    Amazon.com quotes two reviewers on the back cover of TDI:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0521623871/qid%3D9720250
    55/104-4012171-4962335

    THE FOLLOWING TWO ENDORSEMENTS APPEAR ON THE BACK
    COVER:

    Dembski has written a sparklingly original book. Not since David Hume's
    Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion has someone taken such a close
    look at the design argument, but it is done now in a much broader post-
    Darwinian context. Now we proceed with modern characterizations of
    probability and complexity, and the results bear fundamentally on notions
    of randomness and on strategies for dealing with the explanation of
    radically improbable events. We almost forget that design arguments are
    implicit in criminal arguments "beyond a reasonable doubt," plagiarism,
    phylogenetic inference, cryptography, and a host of other modern
    contexts. Dembski's analysis of randomness is the most sophisticated to be
    found in the literature, and his discussions are an important contribution to
    the theory of explanation, and a timely discussion of a neglected and
    unanticipatedly important topic. --William Wimsatt, philosopher of
    biology, U. of Chicago

    In my view, Dembski has given us a brilliant study of the precise
    connections linking chance, probability, and design. A lucidly written
    work of striking insight and originality, _The Design Inference_ provides
    significant progress concerning notoriously difficult questions. I expect
    this to be one of those rare books that genuinely transforms its subject. --
    Jon P. Jarrett, philosopher of physics, U. of Ill. at Chicago

    Although I personally cannot understand fully the mathematical arguments
    in the book, and therefore cannot respond to any of Richard's detailed
    mathematical questions about it, I would assume that Dembski's Ph.D
    supervisors at the University of Chicago and peer reviewers at Cambridge
    University Press' were satisfied with Dembski's "method of the Design
    Inference" and that any problem of understanding is on Richard's part.

    This is a reasonable assumption for me to make because: 1) on the things I can
    understand and check on concerning my posts, Richard has consistently
    demonstrated a failure to understand even simple arguments that he doesn't
    agree with; and 2) Richard's mathematical qualifications of a "BSc in
    >Statistics and Operational Research":

    On Sun, 12 Mar 2000 21:42:04 -0000, Richard Wein wrote:

    [...]

    >I live in Bristol, England. My educational background is in maths (BSc in
    >Statistics and Operational Research from the Universty of Manchester). I've
    >worked mostly in software development, but also as a freelance technical
    >translator (Russian to English).

    while superior to mine, is inferior to Dembski's "Ph.D. in mathematics":

            "William A. Dembski holds a Ph.D. in mathematics from the
            University of Chicago and a Ph.D. in philosophy from the
            University of Illinois at Chicago. He also has earned degrees in
            theology and psychology. He is the recipient of two fellowships
            from the National Science Foundation .... He has done postdoctoral
            work at the University of Chicago, Massachusetts Institute of
            Technology, Princeton University and Northwestern University."
            (Dembski W.A., "Intelligent Design," 1999, rear inside cover)

    And before FJ/Pim presses his "argument from authority" macro, I would
    point out that juries routinely assess the relative qualifications of expert
    witnesses and send people to gaol and even execute them on the
    strength of same.

    RW>Even within the inner circle of the ID movement
    >it seems that there are major disagreements over the Design Inference.

    There would be nothing wrong if there were, "major disagreements over
    the Design Inference" "within the inner circle of the ID movement" but I
    must say I am unaware of them. Maybe Richard will enlighten me what
    they are?

    RW>No doubt Dembski and his supporters will try to brazen it out.

    Who are these "Dembski ... supporters" as distinct from others in the ID
    movement?

    And on what grounds does Richard claim that "Dembski ... will try to
    brazen it out"?

    RW>But sooner or later their bogus claims ...

    What "bogus claims" are those exactly? Richard purports to be asking for
    Dembski to support his arguments in TDI, but Richard has already decided
    in advance that they are "bogus".

    RW>will go the way of the YEC Paluxy River track claims.

    Richard's prejudice is clear here, still trying to link ID with YEC.

    RW>Those who've supported the Design Inference will be left with egg on
    >their faces.

    Richard *hopes*!

    Mind you, I personally am not afraid of being "left with egg on" my face
    over this or *any* ID claim, should it turn out to be wrong.

    Because ID claims to be science, I accept that its claims are falsifiable.

    RW>My impression has been that Stephen generally steers clear of the subject of
    >the Design Inference and CSI.

    It is not so much that I steer clear of these subjects but: 1) because of lack
    of time due to study commitments I have largely been pinned down to
    answering responses to my own posts and AFAIK this the first time anyone
    has actually addressed a question to me on "the Design Inference and CSI"
    (in the sense of the Dembski calculation) issue; and 2) maths is not my
    strong point so I have not butted into other discussions on it.

    RW>This is quite sensible, as he has probably not read "The Design Inference."

    On what grounds would Richard assume that? I have in fact read it from
    cover to cover, but quite frankly most of the maths and symbolic logic was
    incomprehensible to me.

    If they comprehensible to Richard he has the advantage. But mind you, if
    he claims the maths and symbols are comprehensible to him, and he tries to
    make an argument based on them, I will be asking Richard to explain them in
    layman's terms.

    RW>My suggestion to Stephen is that he avoid the
    >subjects of the Design Inference and CSI like the plague, if he doesn't want
    >to be one of those with egg on his face. ;-)

    See above on me not fearing "egg on" my "face". If I am wrong I would
    rather *know* I am wrong.

    If Richard can show that I (or Dembski) is wrong, I (and I am sure
    Dembski), would *thank* Richard.

    But I ask myself why would *Richard* be concerned about me having "egg
    on" my "face"? If Richard really thought that "the Design Inference and
    CSI" was false, he would be encouraging me to use it.

    Therefore I assume it is just another example of bluff on Richard's part.

    Stephen E. Jones | Ph. +61 8 9448 7439 | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones