Re: Examples of natural selection generating CSI

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 18:02:04 EDT

    Reflectorites

    Sorry this is so late.

    On Thu, 05 Oct 2000 23:58:52 -0400, Ivar Ylvisaker wrote:

    [...]

    >>IY>I'm not aware of an example of anything that can be labeled CSI. I've
    >>>seen claims by Dembski and others but have never seen any explicit
    >>>justification for such a claim.

    >SJ>How about the genetic code for starters?

    IY>According to Dembski's The Design Inference, one calculates
    >complexity (i.e., improbability) by examining all possible (non-design)
    >hypotheses. This has never been done and I can not imagine that it ever
    >will be.

    I would appreciate Ivar quoting where in "The Design Inference" Dembski
    says that: "one calculates ... all possible (non-design) hypotheses."

    IY>If you or others want to propose the hypothesis that complex things
    >such as the genetic code are always assembled by intelligent beings,
    >that is fine with me.

    This is in fact our universal experience that codes "are always assembled
    by intelligent beings." SETI is based on this.

    IY>But I don't see how you plan to collect evidence
    >to confirm your hypothesis.

    See above. I am not sure that it *is* the "hypothesis".

    IY>You seem to be stuck with a sample size of one (man).

    I am not sure what Ivar means. The hypothesis is not about Dembski so he
    is not the "sample".

    IY>And Darwin's RM&NS suggests an alternative hypothesis.

    In fact Darwinists like Dawkins claims that " Darwin's RM&NS" is the
    *only* "alternative hypothesis":

            "More, I want to persuade the reader, not just that the Darwinian
            world-view happens to be true, but that it is the only known theory
            that could, in principle, solve the mystery of our existence. This
            makes it a doubly satisfying theory. A good case can be made that
            Darwinism is true, not just on this planet but all over the universe
            wherever life may be found. (Dawkins R., "The Blind
            Watchmaker," 1991, reprint, p.xiv)

    and

            "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter. The essence of life
            is statistical improbability on a colossal scale. Whatever is the
            explanation for life, therefore, it cannot be chance. The true
            explanation for the existence of life must embody the very antithesis
            of chance. The antithesis of chance is nonrandom survival, properly
            understood. Nonrandom survival, improperly understood, is not the
            antithesis of chance, it is chance itself. There is a continuum
            connecting these two extremes, and it is the continuum from single-
            step selection to cumulative selection. Single-step selection is just
            another way of saying pure chance. This is what I mean by
            nonrandom survival improperly understood. Cumulative selection,
            by slow and gradual degrees, is the explanation, the only workable
            explanation that has ever been proposed, for the existence of life's
            complex design." (Dawkins R., 1991, p.317)

    IY>Further, this is not Dembski's approach. Dembski says that he is not
    >proposing "design" as an hypothesis; rather, he is proposing to deduce
    >design by eliminating all alternative hypotheses to design.

    I would like appreciate Ivar quoting where "Dembski says that he is not
    proposing `design' as an hypothesis."

    IY>His approach is better characterized as philosophical rather than
    >scientific.

    Not really. The same methodology of inferring intelligent cause by
    eliminating unintelligent natural causes underlies the *sciences* of
    archaeology and SETI.

    >>IY>Of course, Dembski wants to demonstrate the existence of miracles.
    >>>Wesley's genetic algorithms will, probably, not be deemed an
    >>>adequate substitute.

    >SJ>This is a common misunderstanding. ID in general and "Dembski" in
    >>particular, do not propose (or even need) to "demonstrate the existence of
    >>miracles":

    IY>I think that Dembski does "want" to demonstrate miracles. Look at
    >Chapter 8, An Act of Creation, in his book Intelligent Design, for
    >example.

    I have re-read the Chapter (part of the reason for the delay) and Dembski
    says nothing there about "miracles".

    "Biology is the study of complicated things that give the appearance of
    having been designed for a purpose." (Dawkins R., "The Blind
    Watchmaker," [1986], Penguin: London, 1991, reprint, p.1)
    Stephen E. Jones | Ph. +61 8 9448 7439 | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones