Re: Entropy Erratum

From: David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 23:12:44 EDT

    Oops! I just noticed an embarrassing numerical error (in a parenthetical
    phrase) in my previous very long post to the reflector whose subject was
    entitled "Entropy (was Re: Human Designers vs. God-as-Designer)". The
    error was in the 8th paragraph following the question labeled Q3. This
    paragraph began with the word "Fourth,". In the 4th sentence of this
    paragraph I wrote:

    > For example, *if* our (very
    >unrealistic) system has only a million (10^6) possible microstates, and
    >if each one of them are equally likely as all of the others, then the
    >entropy of this set of possibilities is just 6 decimal digits (or 13.8
    >bits) no matter *how* complicated the individual microscopic states
    >happen to be to build.

    It ends up that the last phrase above that is enclosed with parentheses
    should read: " (or 19.93 bits)" rather than " (or 13.8 bits)" as I
    incorrectly wrote above.

    Please note the correction.

    David Bowman
    David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu