Re: IDer's ad hominems against evolutionist disassociated from (CSI, GAs,

From: Susan Brassfield Cogan (susanb@telepath.com)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 23:32:45 EDT

    At 04:52 PM 10/21/2000 +0800, you wrote:
    >Reflectorites
    >
    >On Fri, 20 Oct 2000 14:13:45 -0500, Susan Cogan wrote:
    >
    >[...]
    >
    > >BV>. . . Stephen doesn't question anyone's motives, intelligence, honesty or
    > >>sincerely. He does question people's philosophy.
    >
    >SB>Stephen is a religionist. He is usually only able to question things
    > >that , in his perception, don't support his religion.
    >
    >This is self-evidently false, because as Susan herself has pointed out, there
    >are those with the same Christian "religion" as me who accept evolution.
    >Susan herself posted something from Cliff Hamrick an evolutionist and
    >an anti-IDist, pointing out he was "a Christian:

    Some Christians have no trouble weaving the details of the world into their
    religion. Their god is merely larger than the world and science. Other
    religionists are very threatened by those who examine the world in detail
    and are afraid that something will be discovered (or has been discovered)
    that will prove their religion to be untrue. I think you, and nearly all
    creationists (and I believe that IDists are merely a subset of
    creationists) are in the latter category.

    SB>Agnostics question everything. Motives, intelligence, honest and
    > >sincerity are not sacred cows, above or outside what can be >questioned.
    >
    >Susan better have a talk with Chris. He has just said he rejects Christianity
    >and Creationism as not even "logically possible".

    I have talked to him about his extensively. He means logically impossible
    in the philosophical sense. I'm sure he'd be happy to write you a 3000 word
    essay on the subject.

    My rejection of deity is much more simple. You are an atheist in regards to
    all the gods that humans have ever believed in except one. I don't make an
    exception.

    >That makes for him some form of evolution *un*-"question"-able!
    >
    >In fact forget about Chris. Susan says she "question[s] everything". Does
    >she "question" the fact of evolution *itself* (as opposed to any particular
    >version of it).

    This is an interesting question and I've been thinking about it on the back
    burner for several days.
    A dictionary.com definition: "Dogma: a religious doctrine that is
    proclaimed as true without proof ."

    "Proof" is the important word. I would say "evidence." For evolution there
    are tons--literally--of evidence. So saying "I believe evolution to be
    true" isn't quite a dogmatic statement. I question details of it--I
    *especially* question evolutionary psychology which I find to be pretty
    thin as a discipline. But the central fact of evolution? No. As you pointed
    out, I'm not a biologist or paleontologist, but I've seen a ton of evidence
    myself. I've read a lot of papers and books. I've volunteered at the
    natural history museum, I've looked at a lot of the evidence personally.
    I've seen enough, I'm convinced. As convinced as I can be of anything.

    As far as ID is concerned I've seen Johnson trying to do the lawyer thing
    and try to come up with "reasonable doubt" about evolution and seen that
    most of his "evidence" against it is lifted from old creationist arguments
    that were proved false 20 years ago. I've seen Behe propose irreducibly
    complex organisms and systems and seen them collapse one by one as
    evolutionary pathways are discovered. I've seen Dembski propose a filter
    that *might* produce false positives but he doesn't seem to be willing to
    share his data with anyone (I and most people suspect there is none).

    Oh, yeah, and I've seen a chemist make a bald, unsupported statement that
    Darwinism is going down the tubes. Now *that's* convincing! :-)

    Susan

    --------

    Always ask. Hang out with people who make you laugh. Love as many people as
    you can. Read everything you can get your hands on. Take frequent naps.
    Watch as little television as you can stand. Tell people what you want. Do
    what you love as much as you can. Dance every day.
    --------
    Please visit my website:
    http://www.telepath.com/susanb