Re: To all uncommitted lurkers

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 19:11:50 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Sat, 21 Oct 2000 10:23:43 +0100, Richard Wein wrote:

    [...]

    >SJ>My recommendation is not to bite and in the end they look bad. There are a
    >>lot of uncommitted lurkers on this List and they can see which side
    >>presents the evidence and which side mostly just insults and intimidates.

    RW>Stephen has several times referred to these mysterious uncommitted lurkers.
    >I rather doubt whether they exist, but I would be interested to know if they
    >do.

    It is a simple fact that there are, on average, about 100 subscribers to this
    List. The last time I did a "who evolution" check with Majordomo in
    August there were in fact 99 subscribers to it. Richard can check for
    himself by sending a message to <Majordomo@lists.calvin.edu> with the
    words:

    who evolution

    in the body of the message.

    Yet only about 10% of that number regularly post. Maybe another 10%
    have posted irregularly. So it seems a reasonable assumption that, of that
    ~80% who don't post, some of them (if not most of them), would be
    uncommitted.

    RW>It would give some purpose to the debate here. Without an uncommitted
    >audience the debate is futile, as creationists/IDers are not open to
    >rational argument, and evolutionists are not going to be influenced by the
    >irrational arguments of the creationists/IDers.

    I presume a major problem is the personal abuse, putting down, and
    intimidation that issues mainly from the Evolution side. Very few people
    would have the courage to submit to that.

    I personally have developed a thick skin now, but when I started I was
    *shocked* by the ridicule and abuse that mostly emanated from the Evolution
    side.

    What was particularly shocking was that the worst offenders were those
    evolutionists who claimed to be *Christians*.

    RW>So, all you uncommitted lurkers out there, if you exist, please speak up and
    >make yourselves known.

    I note that a couple have, but clearly a decisive test of "uncommitted
    lurkers" is not that they *all* reveal themselves at Richard's command!

    Stephen E. (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ Email: sejones@iinet.net.au
    3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ Web: http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones
    Warwick 6024 -> *_,--\_/ Phone: +61 8 9448 7439
    Perth, Western Australia v "Test everything." (1 Thess. 5:21)