Re: 47 aspects of evolution simulation programs (was Schutzenberger)

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 08:25:31 EDT

    From: Chris Cogan <ccogan@telepath.com>

    >Chris
    >Thanks, Steve.
    >
    >I'll look it over. I see a general problem with it already, in that many
    >of the items listed should *evolve* from others, and should not be included
    >as a basic part of the simulation. For example, a really good simulation of
    >evolution would start "at the beginning," with nothing more than a
    >simulation of suitable physics and chemistry, and the rest would all be
    >evolved from that starting point. Nevertheless, I think the list is
    >valuable and probably could be extended.
    >
    >However, much about evolution can be studied *without* many of these
    >features.

    Yes. It's in the nature of a simulation that it's based on an abstracted
    model of reality. For total accuracy, we would have to simulate every
    sub-atomic particle, which is clearly impossible. The point of a simulation
    is to model the significant features of the system in question while
    abstracting out the insignificant details. That always leaves the
    possibility that we have omitted some feature that we don't know about or
    consider to be insignificant, but which in reality *is* significant. But
    that's life. Science is not perfect.

    >For example, one claim is that random processes, even repeated
    >and cumulative, cannot produce complexity. This is not a specific claim
    >about DNA-based evolution, but much more general claim. It can therefore be
    >studied with simulations that do not represent DNA at all, but merely a
    >process that demonstrates whether complexity *can* be accumulated by this
    >kind of process. Similar considerations apply to selection.

    Agreed.

    Richard Wein (Tich)
    "Do the calculation. Take the numbers seriously. See if the underlying
    probabilities really are small enough to yield design."
      -- W. A. Dembski, who has never presented any calculation to back up his
    claim to have detected Intelligent Design in life.