47 aspects of evolution simulation programs (was Schutzenberger)

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 07:42:37 EDT

    Chris
    Thanks, Steve.

    I'll look it over. I see a general problem with it already, in that many
    of the items listed should *evolve* from others, and should not be included
    as a basic part of the simulation. For example, a really good simulation of
    evolution would start "at the beginning," with nothing more than a
    simulation of suitable physics and chemistry, and the rest would all be
    evolved from that starting point. Nevertheless, I think the list is
    valuable and probably could be extended.

    However, much about evolution can be studied *without* many of these
    features. For example, one claim is that random processes, even repeated
    and cumulative, cannot produce complexity. This is not a specific claim
    about DNA-based evolution, but much more general claim. It can therefore be
    studied with simulations that do not represent DNA at all, but merely a
    process that demonstrates whether complexity *can* be accumulated by this
    kind of process. Similar considerations apply to selection.