Re: 47 aspects of evolution simulation programs (was Schutzenberger)

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 18:47:24 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 13:25:31 +0100, Richard Wein wrote:

    [...]

    >CC>Thanks, Steve.

    My pleasure!

    >CC>I'll look it over. I see a general problem with it already, in that many
    >>of the items listed should *evolve* from others, and should not be included
    >>as a basic part of the simulation.

    What is this word "evolve"? The 47 things I have listed AFAIK are
    *essential* to all known life. Chris can of course *imagine* that life could
    start without them, but it is just his imagination, not biological reality.

    CC>For example, a really good simulation of
    >>evolution would start "at the beginning," with nothing more than a
    >>simulation of suitable physics and chemistry, and the rest would all be
    >>evolved from that starting point.

    This begs the whole question that it *was* "the beginning".

    But I would be happy for anyone to show by a simulation that starting
    "with nothing more than a simulation of suitable physics and chemistry"
    that "the rest would all be evolved from that starting point"!

    CC>Nevertheless, I think the list is
    >>valuable and probably could be extended.

    Maybe. But these 47 will do for now!

    >CC>However, much about evolution can be studied *without* many of
    these
    >>features.

    RW>Yes. It's in the nature of a simulation that it's based on an abstracted
    >model of reality. For total accuracy, we would have to simulate every
    >sub-atomic particle, which is clearly impossible.

    Not really. In the case of the origin of life, starting with amino and nucleic
    acids will do fine.

    RW>The point of a simulation
    >is to model the significant features of the system in question while
    >abstracting out the insignificant details. That always leaves the
    >possibility that we have omitted some feature that we don't know about or
    >consider to be insignificant, but which in reality *is* significant. But
    >that's life. Science is not perfect.

    I have listed 47 things that are essential for life as we know it. Any
    simulation that does not faithfully represent those, is not biologically
    realistic.

    >CC>For example, one claim is that random processes, even repeated
    >>and cumulative, cannot produce complexity.

    The claim is *specified* complexity. Specified complexity is like
    meaningful words on a page. A test of specified complexity is whether a
    computer program to produce the string of characters would be shorter
    than the string. In the case of (say) the play Hamlet, the program to
    produce it would be longer that the play itself.

    CC>This is not a specific claim
    >>about DNA-based evolution, but much more general claim. It can therefore be
    >>studied with simulations that do not represent DNA at all, but merely a
    >>process that demonstrates whether complexity *can* be accumulated by this
    >>kind of process. Similar considerations apply to selection.

    I would be interested in any simulations that can generate specified
    complexity, without: 1) starting with specified complexity; or 2) smuggling
    in specified complexity during the course of the simulation.

    And *please* don't give Dawkins' METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
    delusion! On second thoughts, please *do*! [Stop Press: I since read
    Brian's post on this alleged creationist strawman and am not changing
    a word. I have some interesting reactions of *evolutionists* at the time
    in the pages of New Scientist where Dawkins first floated the idea.]

    BTW, there is a good test of this. If unintelligent natural processes could
    generate specified complexity then supercomputers could write books.
    Dawkins' METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL program could write
    Hamlet if the entire play was encoded in its memory, (just like it could
    write a line of Hamlet if the line was encoded in its memory).

    "Can we separate 'pattern' from 'process'? Every taxonomist since Darwin
    has interpreted life as a vast tree in which all living creatures are the tips of
    the branches, and fossils are the remains of ancestral branches. So the
    pattern of nature-the forms that exist now and in the past-has been
    interpreted in terms of the process of nature, the theory of branching
    evolution through time. But has this assumption clouded our vision of
    nature? Can we be certain that a particular fossil, which may appear to be
    intermediate between other creatures, is really an ancestor? With the
    growing sophistication of taxonomy there is a feeling that many of the neo-
    Darwinian assumptions about fossils and ancestry may be scientifically
    unfounded, and should be dropped. This realization, that the theory may be
    incapable of helping taxonomy, and may even be a hindrance to it, has led
    to a rejection of Darwinian ideas among some taxonomists who feel that
    we should be finding out more about the pattern before we become
    dogmatic about the process which is supposed to explain it." (Leith B.,
    "The Descent of Darwin: A Handbook of Doubts about Darwinism,"
    Collins: London, 1982, p.23)
    Stephen E. Jones | Ph. +61 8 9448 7439 | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones