Re: WHY DOES THE UNIVERSE WORK?

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 02:07:20 EDT

    >Richard Wein: In the case of irreducibly complexity, however, the definition
    is so
    inadequate that ***almost *any* functional system can be considered IC***. If
    there are no non-IC functional systems, then Behe's division of systems into
    IC and non-IC collapses.

    I explained in my last post why ***almost any functional system can be
    considered IC, by Behe's definition***. I note that you snipped my
    explanation without comment. Here it is again:

    "If you can select the components freely, as Behe allows, then almost any
    system can be considered IC. For example, I can consider the human body to
    consist of two components: the skeleton and the soft tissue. These components
    are well-matched and interacting, and removal of either of them causes the
    body to effectively cease functioning, so by Behe's definition, the human
    body is IC. And a similar line of argument can be applied to almost any
    functional system."

    DNAunion: I'll respond to this point this time.

    The skeleton is the skeletal system while the soft tissue component of the
    human body is not. Two separate "systems". In fact, the human body fails as
    being IC based on the first few words of Behe's definition: "...a single
    system....". The humand body consists of the skeletal system, the
    reproductive system, the urinary system, the nervous system, the digestive
    system, etc.; and each one of these systems is itself composed of several
    parts (organs). So I don't think the degree of flexibility you claim to be
    present - that almost any functional system can be called as IC system - is
    present in Behe's definition.