Re: NS and intelligent designers

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 01:45:38 EDT

    >Welsberry: DNAunion is precisely right in saying that NS is not an
    intelligent designer. However, NS has exactly the same characteristics that
    Dembski claimed uniquely identified intelligent designers in TDI. My comment
    that by Dembski's
     criteria, NS could be held to be an intelligent designer was meant to convey
    to the reader the concept that Dembski's argument was flawed, not that NS
    actually therefore *was* an intelligent designer. The
    actualization-exclusion-specification triad that Dembski extols is not
    exclusive of natural selection.

    I hope that clears things up.

    DNAunion: Yes, but I have already made several posts in reply to FMAJ that
    mention you - as he repeatedly mentions you and your conclusions.

    My basic claims have been (1) NATURAL selection cannot include intelligence
    and design, as per Darwin, and (2) that your conclusions are not necessarily
    an accurate representation of Dembski's statements/beliefs.

    And I stated (2) without reading all of your material FMAJ posted. I based
    it on simple logic and experience. Many anti-ID scientists (such as Dave
    Ussery, and Robison from Talk.Origins) have drawn their own conclusions of
    what Behe has said, then shown him to be wrong (Ussery showed that bacterial
    flagella can have fewer proteins that Behe "claimed", and Robison showed that
    the TCA cycle is not IC as Behe"claimed"). However, both were not properly
    representing Behe's statements - apparently unintentionally - so their
    conclusions were irrelevant. Those not familiar with both sides probably
    took Ussery's or Robison's position as being conclusive, even though both
    were in fact flawed.

    Then there is always the possibility that Demsbki misspoke. What if Dembski
    omitted something that made a difference, or added something he didn't intend
    to, or was ambiguous on something, etc. His writings may not be an accurate
    reflection of his own EF!?! Or what if Dembski has revised his EF since (I
    have seen a couple versions of it myself).

    I feel that until Dembski himself shows you to be wrong, or admits that you
    have shown him to be wrong, that the issue is unresolved, and that FMAJ and
    others should make a clear distinction between what you concluded, and what
    Dembski states/believes. That is, if they quote YOUR material, then they
    should attribute the conclusions and beliefs to YOU, not Dembski.

    Please keep this in mind when reading my posts.