Re: NS and intelligent designers

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 01:06:36 EDT

    In a message dated 10/8/2000 10:47:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
    DNAunion@aol.com writes:

    > >Welsberry: DNAunion is precisely right in saying that NS is not an
    > intelligent designer. However, NS has exactly the same characteristics
    > that
    > Dembski claimed uniquely identified intelligent designers in TDI. My
    > comment
    > that by Dembski's
    > criteria, NS could be held to be an intelligent designer was meant to
    > convey
    > to the reader the concept that Dembski's argument was flawed, not that NS
    > actually therefore *was* an intelligent designer. The
    > actualization-exclusion-specification triad that Dembski extols is not
    > exclusive of natural selection.
    >
    > I hope that clears things up.
    >
    > DNAunion: Yes, but I have already made several posts in reply to FMAJ that
    > mention you - as he repeatedly mentions you and your conclusions.
    >
    > My basic claims have been (1) NATURAL selection cannot include intelligence
    > and design, as per Darwin, and (2) that your conclusions are not
    > necessarily
    > an accurate representation of Dembski's statements/beliefs.

    One is irrelevant and (2) remains unsupported. Care to take on the task to
    show that it is inaccurate?

    > And I stated (2) without reading all of your material FMAJ posted. I based

    So you were not aware of the full argument then?

    > t on simple logic and experience. Many anti-ID scientists (such as Dave
    > Ussery, and Robison from Talk.Origins) have drawn their own conclusions of
    > what Behe has said, then shown him to be wrong (Ussery showed that
    > bacterial
    > flagella can have fewer proteins that Behe "claimed", and Robison showed
    > that
    > the TCA cycle is not IC as Behe"claimed"). However, both were not properly
    > representing Behe's statements - apparently unintentionally - so their
    > conclusions were irrelevant. Those not familiar with both sides probably
    > took Ussery's or Robison's position as being conclusive, even though both
    > were in fact flawed.

    Nice logic. Others were wrong so Wesley could be wrong? Why not address the
    arguments?

    > Then there is always the possibility that Demsbki misspoke. What if Dembski
    > omitted something that made a difference, or added something he didn't
    > intend
    > to, or was ambiguous on something, etc. His writings may not be an
    > accurate
    > reflection of his own EF!?! Or what if Dembski has revised his EF since (I
    > have seen a couple versions of it myself).

    Show that Wesley's argument is wrong or that Dembski misspoke. So far you are
    merely speculating.

    > I feel that until Dembski himself shows you to be wrong, or admits that you
    > have shown him to be wrong, that the issue is unresolved, and that FMAJ and

    On the contrary. THe arguments stand with or without Dembski's approval

    > thers should make a clear distinction between what you concluded, and what
    > Dembski states/believes. That is, if they quote YOUR material, then they
    > should attribute the conclusions and beliefs to YOU, not Dembski.

    I did not attribute the conclusions to Dembski dear.

    > Please keep this in mind when reading my posts.

    And ignore the increasing use of ad hominems found there as well :-)