Re: The Future for ID

From: Nucacids@aol.com
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 23:02:47 EDT

    Hello FMAJ,

    Although you missed the point of my essay explaining why
    I think ID is in the cards, I thought I would address your
    "arguments" before I left the list.

    FMA: Of course we do not have nor will ever have the evidence
    that it was all of evolution that was Darwinian or even
    neo-darwinian

    Then we have no reason to think all of evolution was Darwinian
    or neo-darwinian. Thus, the dependence on the non-teleological
    template.

    FMA: but at the moment the neo-Darwinian explanation is the
    one that best matches our observations. Its mechanisms are
    actually observed and the data seem to support these
    mechanisms.

    And at one moment, the Newtonian explanation was the
    best match until we began to look too closely. The problem
    is that some molecular biologists and paleontologists think
    that just such a close look indicates the neo-Darwinian
    explanation is not the best match.

    Also, I think the "best match" view of neo-Darwinism
    largely entails a certain seduction based on its
    simplicity (in reality, over-simplicity) and its
    plasticity. Concerning the latter point, consider
    how Darwinism is seducing a new generation of
    "evolutionary psychologists." Natural selection
    can explain why a mother would sacrifice her
    life for her infant. But it equally explains why
    a mother would kill her infant. It can explain why
    a man would rape a woman and why another
    man would rush in to help and protect the woman
    from the rapist. In nature, it
    explains why certain males birds invest in their
    offspring, but it also explains why certain male
    birds neglect their offspring. Wesson cites one
    evolutionary text as claiming, " We can always
    invent a plausible adaptive advantage for an observed
    or supposed trait." If one need only imagine a
    plausible advantage for a supposed trait, then
    of course the illusion of a "best match" will
    appear.

    FMA: Does this mean that this is all there is?
    I doubt it.

    So you DO doubt the sufficiency of the neo-Darwinian
    mechanism? That we both share in this doubt is the
    very reason not to grant it a privileged explanatory
    role. Since its sufficiency is in doubt, we'll need
    independent evidence that it applied behind any
    origin event in question as extrapolation is now
    too risky.

    FMA: Gradualism is but one aspect of evolution. Its
    existance cannot be denied but there is indication that
    there might be other processes which play a role.
    Would this be a problem ?

    Yes, that is, if you are a hardcore non-teleologist.
    Gradualism, working hand-in-hand with reductionism,
    is crucial to a non-teleological viewpoint. This is why
    hard core people like Dawkins and Dennett defend it
    with the zeal of a religious apologist. It is gradualism
    which confers the important role to chance. Take away
    gradualism, and you're back to 747s and tornadoes.
    Biologically meaningful saltations, like spontaneous
    generation, are essentially beyond the reach of chance.
    Hard-core non-teleologists must insist on simple beginnings
    and small incremental changes. To do otherwise exposes
    your story from being co-opted by a teleological approach.

    Since you like to battle, and I suspect you want to be a
    good non-teleological soldier, a word of advice - rethink
    your doubt and attempts to downplay the importance of
    neo-darwinian mechanisms and gradualism.

    FMA: Darwinism is hardly eroding I'd say.

    Here I was speaking about my vision of the future.
    Darwinism will erode because its template will erode
    and that will change the dynamics. Consider the following:
    if the socio-political aspects of the creationist and ID
    movement effectively disappear, a legion of scientists
    will begin to publicly express their doubts about
    Darwinism and pound it into a bloody pulp. Currently,
    their skepticism is kept fairly private or expressed in a
    very restrained fashion as no one wants to become the
    new poster boy for the ICR.

    FMA: We have to be careful to not equivocate the
    meanings of design as used by the biologist and as
    used by ID.

    Yes, but people tend to pay attention to what you do
    and not what you say. If scientists treat life as something
    that has been designed, that can only create an inertia
    for the emergence of the teleological template. You can
    only get away for so long arguing as follows:

    "So you see how nicely the thermostat and furnace help
    us to understand life processes. But remember, there is
    a difference. The thermostat and furnace exist because of
    ID, but we don't know how these life processes came into
    existence."

    The most natural and logical follow-up is prevented largely
    by one thing - it would embrace a template that is at odds
    with the gestalt that dominates academia. For if someone
    wanted to argue that the reason scientists find so much light
    in these design concepts is because they are studying things
    that were ultimately designed, not one argument could be
    made to show they were wrong. All that you could say
    is that such a person has broken a game rule or that they
    could be wrong.

    FMA: Unlikely. The main problem of ID is that design is
    infered from the absence of evidence not the presence of
    evidence.

    Not for me. I infer ID behind the origin of the first
    appearance of life on this planet because several lines
    of data converge as evidence for this inference. Some
    of this is explained in my postings to the ARN board.

    FMA: Behe has searched for a reliable indicator of design that
    could eliminate natural selection (incorrectly concluding therefore
    design) but it seems that the indicator is not that
    reliable after all so we are back to the start.

    I don't agree. IC does help us to effectively rule out two
    possible darwinian pathways and these only happen to
    be the pathways that are the most coherent and with the best
    evidential support. The remaining pathways are plagued with
    problems (as I explain in my response to the Ussery and
    Thornhill paper). Now, if one doubts the sufficiency of
    darwinian mechanisms for all of evolution, one needs
    independent evidence that they applied. One doesn't have
    to "exclude" natural selection by determining that it
    could not possibly apply (that would be trying to prove
    something was impossible). One can exclude NS in a
    tentative sense simply because there is no evidence to
    include it.

    After all, for all your talk about eliminating NS, how have
    you eliminated ID in order to infer NS? In fact, do you
    ever infer NS or do you simply assume it?

    FMA: In order to show which explanation matches better we
    need pathways and data. Absent data we cannot
    infer one or the other, but with data we can search for natural pathways and
    we can propose intelligent design pathways. So far however Id seems to be
    satisfied to not deal with the designer, the pathways but only with the
    detection of design. But if the detection of design fails to exclude natural
    selection as the intelligent designer then ID has a problem.

    You seem to think ID must prove a negative (exclude NS). I
    don't agree. ID only has a problem if it cannot generate testable
    hypotheses and an understanding of the biotic world. And it
    doesn't have this problem as I now know from experience.

    FMA: Certainly the fact that we can use our technology to manipulate
    biological systems is hardly evidence of ID in nature. That would be begging
    the question.

    That's not the point. The point is that as our technology improves
    such that we blur the distinction between natural life and
    artificial life, a template is being laid. Couple this to the
    utility of ID and the evaporating basis for the Darwinian
    template, all taking place in an ambiguous world, and ID
    is in the cards.

    FMA: It will still be an important distinction for the explanation of
    evolution.
    That in the future we might be able to manipulate evolution does not mean
    that this happened in the past.

    Agreed. It only means that a mental template is being laid. Today,
    cells are likened to computers because we make computers. Cells
    were not likened to computers back in 1890. Now, when we
    begin to manipulate life and evolution….

    FMA: How much sense would it make to insist that life
    has to arise intelligently all the time?

    Such an insistence is not needed nor is it in the cards. It is the
    non-teleological viewpoint that demands absolute allegiance,
    not the teleological viewpoint.

    FMA: Which is why ID is unlikely to become a paradigm in
    science that will work. Unless it can free itself from the
    elimination of alternatives and provide positive evidence of ID,
    it will continue to struggle with the failure of not
    being able to exclude natural selection as the intelligent designer.

    Thanks for the advice, but my experience indicates it is
    misguided. I do not "struggle" in coming up with
    testable hypotheses that speak to ID. The source of
    such struggling is found in the very thing you demand,
    that is, some magic bullet detector that absolutely
    excludes non-teleological causes. But that's philosophy
    and not an investigation.

    FMA: As such nothing has changed. Design is infered but it
    could still include natural mechanisms.

    Which is relevant only to those who need certainty.

    FMA: The argument seems to be based on the assumption that the use of the
    terms
    design as used in biology combined with increased use of ID in future
    biological developments will lead to acceptance of ID. But that seems to be
    hopelessly optimistic. Our ability to design systems so far outside the arena
    of life has not lead to acceptance of intelligent design as an explanation of
    non life structures around us, so why would this be different for biological
    systems?

    Because biological systems are better matched with artifacts than any
    other non life structure. Keep in mind also that many in the "ID movement"
    have accepted ID largely because of the "use of the terms
    design as used in biology combined with increased use of ID."
    True, most probably rely on a religious template because we are still
    just coming to grips with what we are discovering and our
    own manipulations are still crude. But as things play out as
    I explained in my essay, another template will emerge to
    facilitate a larger "acceptance-migration." Just watch.

    FMA: I find it hard to imagine that the paradigm of ID, especially as it
    stands
    right now, has any chance of contributing value to science, especially
    biological science.

    I don't. For example, it has already enabled me to infer the
    existence of proofreading during transcription.

    FMA: After all its argument is based on elimination, we have
    no evidence of design in natural systems as they exist right now.

    The evidence of design emerges from the initial states and
    how they relate.

    FMA: Design inferences inherently depend on the elimination
    rather than on positive evidence.

    I don't agree. It's not either/or, it's both/and. Yes, it is true
    that the non-teleological approach fails to bother eliminating
    teleological causes (being largely a metaphysical approach),
    but ID (IMO) is actually more rigorous in that it employs both
    a positive and eliminative approach.

    FMA: Perhaps if ID can provide us with evidence of the designers or the
    pathways then ID would stand a chance to survive but in biological sciences
    such seems unlikely and without such evidence, ID cannot exclude natural
    designers.

    In my opinion, this is the wrong way to go about it. Knowledge of
    the designers and their protocols does not follow from the truth of
    ID.

    FMA: Worse, natural pathways, even unlikely ones would still be far
    more credible than appeal to an unknown designer, unknown pathway, unknown
    purpose.

    That depends on who you ask and how they have been conditioned.

    FMA: Intelligent design failed to impress and affect science in the past, why
    should this time be different? It still has the same inherent flaws.

    It has flaws only if you expect certainty and confuse philosophy with
    history. But actually, crude theistic forms of ID did impress and
    affect science in the past. What happened, however, is that the
    birth of modern biology correlated with an attempt to mimic
    Newtonian reductionism and teleology went down the wrong road of
    vitalism (taking your advice about pathways). Why might it be
    different in the future? Biology is slowly coming to grips with
    the inadequacy of reductionism (that ship is running out of fuel)
    and teleology need not resurrect vitalism. And most importantly,
    an old tired template will soon face a young, fresh template.
    ID is in the cards.

    Good bye all,

    Mike