Designing

From: Wesley R. Elsberry (welsberr@inia.cls.org)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 02:31:51 EDT

    Nucacids wrote:

    [...]

    NA> All that is needed is this: if the debate shifts from
    NA>evolution to mechanism, if teleology works, and if the
    NA>future undermines the Darwinian template's reason for
    NA>existence, along with introducing a template that
    NA>introduces a teleological inertia, once again, ID is in the
    NA>cards.

    [...]

    All that is required is that ID work. Given the rosy picture
    painted by various DI CRSC fellows of the scientific vistas
    that ID and especially Dembski's DI will enable when adopted,
    surely this cannot be doubted as the rockbottom test of ID's
    value. If molecular biologists are able to convert ID into
    theories into data into patents and licensable technologies,
    all the argument over battling philosophies will be *over*.
    It won't matter a bit whether Darwinian explanations are valid
    or invalid, true or false, for ID to gain general acceptance
    in the scientific community, so long as those adopting ID are
    producing *results*. Not arguments that results may at some
    future point be possible given this that and the other thing,
    but actual honest-to-goodness research results. Who knows?
    It could even happen. That's not the way I would bet at the
    moment, but then again if some people actually make things
    happen research-wise with ID, I don't think that it will
    matter that I didn't happen to be a proponent at the outset.
    In the scientific community, results speak for themselves,
    and we have the tyranny of what works.

    On the other hand, if ID continues as it is currently proposed
    and advanced, I don't see a shift of any significance in
    science based upon the sorts of philosophical and political
    arguments that so far pass current for ID thought. It might
    do something for theology, but that's about it. Back in 1997
    at the NTSE conference, the question kept getting asked, "How
    about an example of a scientific theory derived from ID
    principles?" The answer was then, and appears to still be,
    that such require further development. Whether materialists
    or theists, scientists tend to be pragmatists when it comes to
    taking a research approach. They are going to go for what
    works. So far, ID has not proved itself to be a working
    methodology to the general scientific community. In fact, it
    appears that very little effort, relatively speaking, goes
    into making a case for ID to the scientific community. As
    long as that is the case, don't hold your breath for the
    paradigm shift promised by Dembski in "Intelligent Design".

    Wesley