Re: Human designers vs. God-as-designer

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 00:26:40 EDT

    >Ccogan: I suppose that even you would admit that many living things are
    very
    complicated. This certainly proves that material things can be as complex
    as we might desire.

    DNAunion: *IF* you are implying that this in any way validates evolution,
    your logic is flawed. Existence of something complicated does not tell us
    that it came about by evolutionary mechanisms.

    For example, "I suppose that even you would admit that computers are very
    complicated. That certainly proves that material things can be as complex as
    we might desire." Computers are designed.

    >Ccogan: Finally, I may as well point out that, if you understood the
    literally *infinite* richness that derives mathematically from the principle
    of repeated, cumulative variational branching, it's doubtful that you would
    claim that the theory is "simplistic."

    DNAunion: That is incorrect: there is not *literally infinite* richness
    produced by repeated cumulative variational branching. Had you said
    "infinite", in double quotes to indicate the word should not be taken
    literally, then your comment could be considered correct. But had you even
    said simply infinite, without double quotes, your statement would be wrong.
    And it is clearly wrong since you prefaced the word infinite with the word
    LITERALLY.

    Simple refutation. There are 20 amino acids. If they are peptide bonded
    into a 10,000 amino acid protein, then there are 20^10,000 possible unique
    arrangements of symbols (i.e., amino acids). This is many orders of
    magnitude larger than the estimated number of fundamental particles in the
    universe.

    But then there are 20 times MORE unique combinations that are have just one
    more amino acid in the chain. Then there are another 20 times MORE thatn
    that one when another single amino acid is added, and so on, and so on, and
    so on. All the possible unique combinations have not been hit, and never
    will, even if the universe gets to be trillions of trillions of trillions of
    trillions … [you get the idea] years old.

    >Ccogan: Is it possible that it's your *understanding* of it that is
    "simplistic"?

    DNAunion: That might be the pot calling the kettle black.