Re: fear of the religious implications of design

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 00:20:14 EDT

    >IY>However, I am disturbed about two implications of "intelligent
    > >design," one is political, the other educational.
    > >
    > >There are some Christians in the USA who think that the USA should
    > >become officially a Christian nation. They want to end the separation
    > >of church and state. I think they want a nation in which everyone will
    > >be equal except that, using the words of George Orwell, some will be
    > >"more equal." Orwell in "Animal Farm" was writing about the Soviet
    > >Union.

    SJ
    >No doubt but they are a minority and IMHO always will be. Most
    >Christians I know think, and history bears it out, that established churches
    >are a *disaster* for Christianity.

    Chris
    It doesn't happen often, but I have to agree with Jones on this. Once you
    link government and religion, the government (whose primary method of
    doing things is force), will start attempting to ensure that people have
    the right religious views. Naively, a person who agreed with these views
    might think this a good thing. But, when voluntaristic persuasion is
    replaced by force, a not-so-subtle shift occurs, and the views themselves
    become split between what is nominally accepted and what is implicit in the
    imposition and the method of imposition.