Re: CSI, GAs, etc.

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 13:24:51 EDT

    At 10:54 AM 10/02/2000, you wrote:
    >Hi Wes,
    >
    >If you'd like to do an article on this topic for
    >Origins & Design, jump right in. (Contact me
    >off-list about length, et cetera.)
    >
    >I've got to cut out of this discussion because of
    >upcoming lecture commitments. A few comments,
    >however.
    >
    >When I spoke at the University of Colorado a couple
    >of weeks ago, a bright undergraduate came up after
    >the talk and said, "Dr. Nelson, you've just GOT to
    >go on the net and play Conway's 'Game of Life' --
    >that will answer all the questions you have about
    >natural selection!" I listened as this young man
    >described the remarkable, organismal-appearing
    >patterns that arise from what he called "a few
    >simple rules."
    >
    >Interesting, I replied. But then there's Conway.
    >Right?
    >
    >The undergraduate was silent for a moment, and looked
    >down at his feet. So I went on:
    >
    >All evolutionary algorithms that we know have at least
    >one author, or intelligent designer. In the case of
    >the Game of Life, for instance, that would be Conway.
    >In many (all?) cases, the authors work hard writing
    >code, and debugging that code, to ensure that their
    >programs run and actually produce results.

    Chris
    This is only relevant if the algorithms themselves are intelligent. They
    are usually merely a means of implementing a simulation of *unintelligent*
    processes in a computer. *Everything* in a computer has to be done
    algorithmically, because the computer is not designed to act like organic
    molecules (etc.) in Nature.

    The objection is thus just a red herring. Is a pile of rocks thrown
    together by Einstein an *intelligent* pile of rocks just because it was
    made by Einstein? I don't think so, and I don't think *you* think so,
    either. What about the intelligence of the algorithm itself, and whether it
    adequately models processes that can occur in Nature? The fact is that the
    basic evolutionary algorithm is utterly blind. It makes no plans, it has no
    goals, it has no purposes, it has no foresight, it has no knowledge of what
    will work and what won't (it does not even distinguish the two), it is not
    conscious, and so on. It is not even as intelligent as the average computer
    tic-tac-toe game. If you think something dumber than a tic-tac-toe program
    is capable of *intelligently* coming up with the things that evolutionary
    algorithms come up with, then you effectively give up your whole case,
    because a falling rock has about the same degree of "intelligence." You
    would thus be admitting that Nature can do the whole job with no more
    intelligence than such a totally blind process as the core evolutionary
    algorithm, which is what *we've* been claiming all along!

    (Incidentally, evasions such as this pretense that the intelligence of the
    maker of the algorithm must necessarily be transmitted into the activities
    of the algorithm in execution are among the reasons why ID theorists have
    earned such a bad reputation among actual scientists and other rational
    people. If they want to be taken seriously, they need to pay at least
    minimal attention to the real meaning of what they are claiming, and
    whether it makes any sense -- preferably *before* they make the claims.)