Re: CSI, GAs, etc.

From: Paul Nelson (pnelson2@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 12:26:05 EDT

    > I am still curious how you intend to separate apparant from actual CSI
    > though. Wesley's algorithm room still remains a formidable 'riddle'

    No, it isn't. CSI is CSI.

    Here's a thought experiment.

    We find a wall with a little door in it. Occasionally, that door opens,
    and small complex artifacts emerge. Maybe these are sonnets, or
    pencils, or integrated circuits, or plaster busts of Mozart -- whatever.

    So eventually our curiosity gets the better of us, and we carefully
    cut an opening in the wall to discover what's behind it.

    In that room, we find a large machine. On analysis, we find that
    the machine is programmed to produce sonnets, pencils, integrated
    circuits, and busts of Mozart, as well as thousands of other artifacts.
    The machine then opens the door in the wall and deposits these
    artifacts in the outside world.

    Gosh, we say -- no more problem of the origin of CSI! Obviously,
    a mindless algorithm is outputting CSI, namely, this machine here.

    And we got off to have a beer, happy that we've solved the
    puzzle of CSI. CSI is only "apparent," because it's being produced
    by a large machine.

    ;-)

    OK, that's *really* my last post in this thread (although I still
    owe Wes a reply on natural selection).

    Paul Nelson
    Senior Fellow
    The Discovery Institute