Re: WHY DOES THE UNIVERSE WORK?

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 06:51:53 EDT

    From: FMAJ1019@aol.com <FMAJ1019@aol.com>

    [...]

    >A classification of possible routes of Darwinian evolution. Richard H.
    >Thornhill1 and David W. Ussery. Published in The Journal of Theoretical
    >Biology, 203: 111-116, 2000.
    >
    >"Possible routes of Darwinian evolution can be classified into four
    >fundamental categories, as outlined below."

    [...]

    I think it's unwise to place too much reliance on this paper by Thornhill
    and Ussery. Their definition of irreducible complexity seems to me to be
    just as problematic as Behe's. I've yet to see any definition of IC which
    defines the meaning of "parts" or "components" in an adequate way.

    If you can select the components freely, as Behe allows, then almost any
    system can be considered IC. For example, I can consider the human body to
    consist of two components: the skeleton and the soft tissue. These
    components are well-matched and interacting, and removal of either of them
    causes the body to effectively cease functioning, so by Behe's definition,
    the human body is IC. And a similar line of argument can be applied to
    almost any functional system.

    Thornhill and Ussery attempt to save the concept of IC by introducing the
    idea of "functionally indivisible components". But I don't think their
    definition of functional indivisibility is adequate. Here's what I wrote in
    an email to Dave Ussery:

    [quote]
    I am, however, having difficulty understanding your paper "A classification
    of possible routes of Darwinian evolution." In particular, I find your
    definition of "functionally indivisible" to be confusing, and would be
    grateful for some clarification. The definition given in your paper is as
    follows:

    "Functional indivisibility: The quality of a component of a structure such
    that there is at least one alteration to it which would render the whole
    structure absolutely non-functional. This term was implied but not used by
    Behe (1996a, pp. 45, 142)."

    The corollorary of this is that a functionally *divisible* component is one
    to which no possible alteration would render the whole structure
    non-functional. You subsequently mention, as an example of functionally
    divisible components, the increments of giraffe neck length. Yet it seems
    clear to me that there are plenty of alterations in such increments which
    could render the giraffe non-functional (i.e. dead!)--for example the
    absence of any aesophagus from such an increment.
    [end quote]

    Ussery and Thornhill were unable to resolve this problem for me, and said
    that they themselves were now uncertain about their definitions.

    I've attempted to think of a more useful definition of IC, but without
    success. I now doubt whether a useful definition of IC is even possible.

    Richard Wein (Tich)