Re: Posting from other resources

From: Susan Brassfield Cogan (susanb@telepath.com)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 23:42:03 EDT

    At 11:20 PM 10/01/2000 -0400, you wrote:
    >I had not read the posting rules. And since I assumed that it was ok to post
    >references and short excerpts of work found online I never thought about
    >these issues. I would like to hear the feedback of the people on this group.
    >Should references be limited to the links only? Or can one also quote limited
    >exerpts when appropriate for the argument?

    It is my understanding under "fair use" rules that you can quote portions
    of a published work. I happen to know that something on a personal or
    public website is considered "published" and can be treated like something
    in a book or magazine. It's good manners to include the original URL so
    that readers can check the context. However, private e-mail is different
    even if posted to a public list. In that case it's best to get the
    permission of the original author before quoting it.

    Susan