Evolutionary pathways

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 23:39:45 EDT

    A while ago I referenced the following paper:

    A classification of possible routes of Darwinian evolution. Richard H.
    Thornhill1 and David W. Ussery. Published in The Journal
    of Theoretical Biology, 203: 111-116, 2000.

    "Possible routes of Darwinian evolution can be classified into four
    fundamental categories, as outlined below."

    a) Serial direct Darwinian evolution.
    b) Parallel direct Darwinian evolution.
    c) Elimination of functional redundancy.
    d) Adoption from a different function.

    Searching for Rubisco I ran across a website which discusses this paper:
    http://www.arn.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000177.html

    I do not want to quote from this website until I have a better understanding
    of the rules on this reflector. There is however an interesting discussion
    between Mike Gene and Zeus Thibault that is quite relevant to the paper I
    quoted.

    However reading through the latest reflector postings I also noticed that
    NucAcid used to post on the ARN website. It seems that the website closed its
    bulletin boards. I noticed that his first name is Mike. Are you the Mike Gene
    from these boards? Although I do not agree necessarily with your position, I
    do want to compliment you on providing some good discussion materials.