Re: A Baylor Scientist on Dembski 1/2

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sun Aug 20 2000 - 16:54:54 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 17:24:25 -0500, Susan Brassfield wrote:

    SB>Below is an article that I found on another list by a biologist at Baylor
    >University. For Bertvan's edification, the author not only defines the word
    >"propaganda" but also "theory." Stephen should note that the author is a
    >Christian.

    I am not sure what the fact that "the author is a Christian" has to do with it.
    It is well known that among the most vociferous critics of both ID and
    creationism are Christian theistic evolutionists. In this case Hamrick is in
    fact a Christian *Darwinist*, claiming that "Darwin's Theory of Natural
    Selection is our best explanation for how things evolve..." (see below).

    Since Darwinism depends *absolutely* on the assumption that *all*
    mutations in the entire 3.9 billion-year history of life have been random
    with respect to adaptive improvement, it is absolutely *essential* that
    Darwinists (including Christian ones), attack all Christian creationist
    notions of a Creator guiding or intervening in natural history.

    BTW that Susan is citing Hamrick as a "Christian" is ironic because from
    her previous utterances she thinks that Christianity is equivalent to belief in
    Santa Claus or the tooth fairy and that therefore all Christians (including
    presumably Hamrick) must be *massively* deluded!

    Hamrick, if he sees this, might ponder that atheists like Susan seize on his
    criticisms of Dembski, not to destroy just ID, but really behind that
    *Christianity*.

    Hamrick might also ponder why, as a Christian, he doesn't spend His Lord's
    time more profitably attacking his *atheist* fellow Darwinists like Dawkins
    and Ruse (instead of defending them), rather than attacking his Christian
    brother, Dembski.

    [...]

    I have prefixed Hamrick's words below with "CH" to distinguish them
    from any reply Susan may make.

    CH>Cliff Hamrick <cliff_hamrick@BAYLOR.EDU> April 11, 2000
    >10:52:49 AM EDT
    >reiterations@META-LIST.ORG
    >
    >Dr. Dembski's last submission to Metaviews has sparked in me the need to
    >respond to all the Creationist propaganda that I have been reading. First,
    >let me say that I do not use the words 'Creationist propaganda' lightly.

    Hamrick is no doubt completely sincere in this. If he is a Christian
    Darwinist then no doubt a Christian who is a creationist attacking
    Darwinism at its very roots would *seem* like "propaganda" to him.

    CH>According to Webster's Third New International Dictionary, the definition
    >of propaganda is 'doctrines, ideas, arguments, facts, or allegations spread
    >by deliberate effort through any medium of communication in order to
    >further one's cause or to damage an opposing cause'.

    Since Hamrick is also "spreading...ideas, information, or rumor for the
    purpose of helping or injuring ... a cause, or a person" and "ideas, facts, or
    allegations spread deliberately to further one's cause or to damage an
    opposing cause..." against Dembski in particular and the ID movement in
    general, then by that definition he is also spreading propaganda!

    CH>In Dr. Dembski's
    >article, 'Disbelieving Darwin and Feeling No Shame', he quoted Michael Ruse
    >out of context to bolster the opinion of the dogmatism of Darwinists,

    All Demsbki said was:

            "I open with these general remarks about tentativeness and
            dogmatism in science because their importance is too frequently
            neglected in discussions of biological evolution. It hardly makes
            for a free and open exchange of ideas when biologist Richard
            Dawkins asserts, "It is absolutely safe to say that if you meet
            somebody who claims not to believe in evolution, that person is
            ignorant, stupid, or insane (or wicked, but I'd rather not consider
            that)." Nor does philosopher Michael Ruse help matters when he
            trumpets, "Evolution is a fact, *fact*, *FACT!*" (Meta 027:
            "Disbelieving Darwin and Feeling No Shame", by William
            Dembski, 16 Mar 2000.
            http://listserv.omni-list.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind00&L=metaviews&D=1&O=D&F=&S=&P=3423)

    First, notice BTW that Hamrick selectively ignores what Dawkins said!

    Second, notice the fact, *fact*, *FACT* :-) that Ruse *did* say it:

            "As noted in the Preface, one often sees it said that `evolution is
            not a fact, but a theory.' Is this the essence of my claim? Not
            really! Indeed, I suggest that this wise-sounding statement is
            confused to the point of falsity: it almost certainly is if, without
            regard for cause, one means no more by `evolution' than the claim
            that all organisms developed naturally from primitive beginnings.
            Evolution is a fact, *fact*, *FACT*!" (Ruse M., "Darwinism
            Defended," 1983, p.58. Emphasis Ruse's)

    Even if in defense of Ruse, one points out that by "evolution" he only
    means that "all organisms developed naturally from primitive beginnings"
    without specifying the "cause", it is dogmatic, nonetheless. And it is not
    even true. It is *not* a "fact" that "all organisms developed *naturally*
    from primitive beginnings". There is simply no way for Ruse to know that
    it was 100% "naturally" unless he makes the dogmatic assumption that
    either there is no God (materialism), or He never supernaturally intervened
    in life's history (naturalism).

    CH>misrepresented the ideas of Mickey Rowe

    I cannot see where Dembski in his article says anything about anyone
    called "Rowe".

    CH>"(later writing a half apology) to
    >paint the picture of Darwinists as monsters,

    Again I cannot follow what Hamrick is saying. The word "monsters" does
    not even appear in Dembski's article.

    CH>and only wrote half the truth
    >about Darwin's presentation of his Theory of Natural Selection (the truth
    >is that during Darwin's time there were few if any specialized scientific
    >journals, that Newton, Kepler, and Galileo also published books for the
    >public, .

    Hamrick misses the point. What Dembski was saying is that from Darwin's
    time on, Darwinists have always assumed that their theory was
    understandable to the public, so they cannot blame non-acceptance of it as
    non-understanding:

            "The public need feel no shame at disbelieving and openly
            criticizing Darwinism. Most scientific theories these days are
            initially published in specialized journals or monographs, and are
            directed toward experts assumed to possess considerable technical
            background. Not so Darwin's theory. The locus classicus for
            Darwin's theory remains his *Origin of Species*. In it Darwin took
            his case to the public. Contemporary Darwinists likewise continue
            to take their case to the public. The books of Richard Dawkins,
            Daniel Dennett, Stephen Jay Gould, E. O. Wilson, and a host of
            other biologists and philosophers aim to convince a skeptical public
            about the merits of Darwin's theory. These same authors commend
            the public when it finds their arguments convincing. But when the
            public remains unconvinced, commendation turns to condemnation.
            "Dembski, "Disbelieving Darwin and Feeling No Shame", 2000)

    CH> and that Darwin and Wallace copresented the Theory of Natural
    >Selection to a group of fellow scientists).

    Here Hamrick is simply wrong at best and deliberately misleading at
    worst. First, Wallace did not co-present his theory with Darwin "to a
    group of fellow scientists". The facts are that Wallace sent an abstract of
    his theory to Darwin for review by him and Lyell and then publication, but
    Darwin hastily wrote his own brief abstract of his theory and read it *first*
    at a meeting of the Linnaean Society in 1858, followed by Wallace's
    paper. Wallace was in Malaya and did not know anything about it until
    after it had happened.

    Second, Darwin's "fellow scientists" did not really understand from
    Darwin's abstract what his theory was. Even Darwin's friends Hooker, and
    Huxley who were privy to Darwin's abstract, did not accept his theory
    until after they read it in full in the Origin of Species.

    CH>Given these facts, the lack of
    >any scientific data, philosophical or theological arguments,

    Dembski article was necessarily brief, and he was not even *attempting* to
    present "any scientific data" or "theological arguments". But it is false to
    say that there was a "lack of ....philosophical ...arguments" Dembski did
    actually refer to the arguments of *four* philosophers (Kuhn, Descartes,
    Socarates and Dennett" in his brief article.

    The point of Dembski's article was simply to argue that considering the
    history of science, Darwinists should be less dogmatic and take seriously
    the possibility that they might be wrong:

            "Science, we are told, is tentative. And given the history of science,
            there is every reason for science to be tentative. No scientific theory
            withstands revision for long, and many are eventually superseded by
            theories that flat contradict their predecessors. Scientific
            revolutions are common, painful, and real. New theories regularly
            overturn old ones, and no scientific theory is ever the final word.
            But if science is tentative, scientists are not. As philosopher of
            science Thomas Kuhn rightly noted, it takes a revolution to change
            scientific theories precisely because scientists do not hold their
            theories tentatively. ... No scientist with a career invested in a
            scientific theory is going to relinquish it easily. And a good thing
            that is! The only way to make headway with a theory is to be fully
            invested in it. .... Scientists risk their careers and livelihoods
            working on theories they hope will solve interesting problems.
            Consequently, scientists need to be persuaded that their theories
            provide not only fundamental and profound insights, but also
            avenues of research sufficiently fruitful to span an entire scientific
            career (typically forty or so years). By itself a scientist's lack of
            tentativeness poses no danger to science. It only becomes a danger
            when it turns to dogmatism. Typically, a scientist's lack of
            tentativeness toward a scientific theory simply means that the
            scientist is convinced the theory is substantially correct. Scientists
            are fully entitled to such convictions. On the other hand, scientists
            who hold their theories dogmatically go on to assert that their
            theories *cannot* be incorrect. How can a scientist keep from
            descending into dogmatism? The only way I know is to look
            oneself squarely in the mirror and continually affirm: *I may be
            wrong* ... *I may be massively wrong* ... *I may be hopelessly and
            irretrievably wrong* -- and mean it! It's not enough just to mouth
            these words. We need to take them seriously and admit that they
            can apply even to our most cherished scientific beliefs. A simple
            induction from past scientific failures should be enough to convince
            us that the only thing about which we cannot be wrong is the
            possibility that we might be wrong." (Meta 027, Dembski, 16 Mar
            2000)

    Ironically, by his outraged overreaction, Hamrick indirectly confirmed
    Dembski's thesis!

    CH>and his close
    >association with the Discovery Center, a think tank with a definite
    >socio-political agenda,

    What has this got to do with it? *Everyone* has a "socio-political
    agenda". Hamrick presumably does not discount Gould, Lewontin or
    Maynard Smith's scientific theories because their "socio-political agenda"
    is Marxism! If having a "socio-political agenda" or even being associated
    with those who have, disqualifies one's scientific theories, then there
    would be no science.

    CH>I can only determine it's purpose to be to further
    >Dr. Dembski's cause and to damage an opposing cause, mainly Darwinism.

    It is interesting that Hamrick sees "Darwinism" as a "cause". He indirectly
    again confirms Dembski's point. Darwinists do not see their theory as just
    another scientific theory, but as a "cause" which must be defended no
    matter what.

    CH>Dr. Dembski is certainly no scientist, he does not conduct scientific
    >research, and he does not write scientific articles.

    Again this "priestly" ad hominem misses Dembski's point that Darwinists
    have always assumed that their theory was understandable by the general
    public:

    If that is the case, then someone who " holds seven degrees" like Dembski
    can surely understand it and criticise it.

    The idea that Darwinists can write popular books on Darwinism for the
    general public, but the public are not able to criticise and disbelieve
    Darwinism just doesn't compute:

            "How is it that the public is commended for its scientific acumen
            when it accepts Darwinian evolutionary theory, but disparaged for
            its scientific insensibility when it doubts that same theory? The mark
            of dogmatism is to reward conformity and punish dissent. If
            contemporary science does indeed belong to the culture of rational
            discourse, then it must repudiate dogmatism and authoritarianism in
            all guises. If the public can be trusted to evaluate the case for
            Darwinism -- and this is what Darwinists tacitly assume whenever
            they publish books on Darwinism for the public -- then it is unfair
            to turn against the public when it decides that the case for
            Darwinism is unconvincing." . (Meta 027, Dembski, 16 Mar 2000)

    CH>According to his CV from his website, Dr. Dembski holds seven degrees,
    >though none of them are in the sciences. His closest degrees to science
    >are in mathematics.

    This is both false and misleading. Dembski's qualifications include
    "philosophy of science" and "physics":

            "William A. Dembski (Pascal Centre) holds a Ph.D. in mathematics
            from the University of Chicago and a Ph.D. in philosophy from the
            University of Illinois, Chicago. He has conducted doctoral and
            postdoctoral research at Cornell (math), MIT (math), the University
            of Chicago (math and physics), Princeton (computer science) and
            Northwestern (math and philosophy of science). He has been a
            National Science Foundation doctoral and postdoctoral fellow.
            Topics of his publications range from mathematics (e.g, Journal of
            Theoretical Probability) to philosophy (e.g, Nous) to theology (e.g
            Epiphany Journal). He has made fundamental contributions to the
            foundations of probability theory (for example, exploring
            randomness and small probabilities); The mathematical and
            philosophical foundations of design/teleology as well as their
            implications for natural theology constitute his primary research
            interest." (Moreland J.P., ed., "The Creation Hypothesis," 1994,
            p.334).

    CH>However, I know from my personal relations with
    >mathematicians that this is no real indication of a good understanding of
    >science.

    Leaving aside that Neo-Darwinism is supposedly based on a mathematical
    theory of population genetics, of which Dembski would probably be in a
    postitin to understand better than most biologists, this is really an absurd
    argument. Evolution is not quantum physics. If it is to be taught to school
    students in Kansas, then it must be understandable by them, at least in its
    main outlines. The whole underlying premise of Darwinist popular writing
    is that evolution is so simple that anyone who doesn't believe in it must be
    "ignorant, stupid or insane... or wicked":

            "It is absolutely safe to say that if you meet somebody who claims
            not to believe in evolution, that person is ignorant, stupid or insane
            (or wicked, but I'd rather not consider that)." (Dawkins R., "Put
            Your Money on Evolution", Review of Johanson D. & Edey M.A,,
            "Blueprints: Solving the Mystery of Evolution", in New York
            Times, April 9, 1989, sec. 7, p34)

    I am just a layman and I have just passed with distinction my first semester
    unit which was the main origin of life and evolution unit in the entire
    Biology degree. There was nothing special or particularly hard about it. If
    the main evolution unit in a Biology degree is the first unit in First Year
    university, and expected to be understood by teenagers straight from high
    school, it is absurd to claim that someone of Demsbki's intellect and
    erudition would have any trouble understanding it!

    CH>He sites his areas of specialization as foundations of
    >probability, philosophy of science, logic of conditionals, and philosophy
    >of religion. As far as I can tell from his CV, he has never actually
    >conducted any real scientific research. If this is true, then this means
    >that he has experience in talking about science without actually ever
    >conducting an experiment.

    See above. Apart from the fact that there is no "experiment" which can
    verify the really major claims of Darwinism, like that a small, land
    mammal changed through imperceptible degrees by random mutation and
    natural selection into a whale in only 5-10 million years, if the argument
    is that only those who have "conducted ... scientific research" or "an
    experiment" can criticise Darwinism, then Darwinists like Gould,
    Dawkins, Dennett and Ruse should stop writing books for the general
    public.

    Come to think about it, Dennett and Ruse are *philosophers* like
    Dembski and may themselves never have have "conducted ... scientific
    research" or "an experiment". In fact when was the last time that Dawkins
    or Gould undertook an "experiment"?

    And Darwinists are just as hostile to Mike Behe who probably conducts
    more "scientific research" and "experiments" than all of the above put
    together! So in the end Hamrick's impugning of Dembski's alleged lack of
    scientific qualifications is just an ploy to deflect criticism from
    Darwinism. I don't say that Hamrick does this consciously. No doubt to
    him it *really* seems that way.

    CH>Dr. Dembski, despite his claims of intelligent design as a scientific
    >theory, is not conducting scientific research.

    See above. But in any event, Dembski's does not even *claim* to be
    "conducting scientific research", at least in an experimental sense.
    Dembski's efforts are directed towards establishing the philosophical absis
    for intelligent design as a scientific theory.

    Other members of the ID movement, like Mike Behe, are "conducting
    scientific research" aimed at proving evidence for ID. But Behe's evidence
    is then rejected on other grounds.

    Since the really major claims for Darwinism go far beyond any possibility
    of experimental testing, it probably wouldn't matter to convinced
    Darwinists (even Christian ones) what "scientific research" and
    "experiments" ID conducted to support their theory.

    CH>Science is based on the principle of testable, falsifiable hypotheses.

    So what would falsify Darwinism? Darwin proposed Irreducible
    Complexity as a crucial test of his theory:

            "If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed which
            could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive,
            slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down."
            (Darwin C.R., "The Origin of Species," 6th Edition, 1928, reprint,
            p.170)

    but modern-day Darwinists like Hamrick just reject IC it out of hand.

    [continued]

    "SEEKING a case of extreme competition between individual plants, I
    thought I had found it in the desert. When, on rare occasions, a heavy rain
    awakens the seeds which have been lying dormant in the desert sands
    during the dry years, a thousand or more seedlings may sprout on every
    square foot of this usually barren soil. They may be so dense that the
    seedling leaves cover the surface with a carpet of green. Everything I had
    ever read about evolution prepared me to find at such a time a jockeying
    for supremacy a struggle for space and an ultimate victory of a few plants
    which managed to outgrow the others. And what actually happened? All
    these seedlings grew. They grew slowly, to be sure, but more than half of
    them got far enough in that arid habitat to form a few leaves, at least one
    flower and ultimately a few seeds. It was not a case of a few outgrowing
    the others and monopolizing the light, moisture and nutrients-they grew up
    evenly, equally sharing available space. It was clear that if a seed of a
    desert annual plant once manages to germinate, it has a better than even
    chance to grow up into a mature plant and to fulfil its function or mission
    of producing at least one but usually more seeds. There is no violent
    struggle between plants, no warlike mutual killing, but a harmonious
    development on a share-and-share-alike basis. The co-operative principle is
    stronger than the competitive one: the controlling factor in the desert's
    carpet of flowers is the germination of the seed, and it is differential
    germination which regulates the plant population in the world. In other
    words, not war, but birth control is nature's answer." (Went F.W., "The
    Plants", [1963], Time/Life Books: Netherlands, 1965, reprint, p.168)