Re: A Baylor Scientist on Dembski 2/2

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sun Aug 20 2000 - 10:35:24 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 17:24:25 -0500, Susan Brassfield wrote:

    [continued]

    CH>I will give the proponents of intelligent design credit for having a
    >well-thought out, perfectly logical hypothesis that the universe and the
    >living things in it are too specifically complex to have arisen by random
    >chance alone.

    This is really an *amazing* admission by Hamrick.

    CH>I agree with the premise of this hypothesis and that has
    >bolstered my faith in a divine power.

    So is this. But how can it have "bolstered" Hamrick's "faith in a divine
    power" if he thinks that that "divine power" didn't work the way that
    Dembski maintains?

    CH>However, it is not scientific until
    >some means of testing that hypothesis can be shown.

    Dembski has laid the theoretical framework for ID and Mike Behe has
    proposed some tests which Darwinists have tried to falsify. So on
    Hamrick's own criteria, ID is "scientific".

    Indeed, as Behe has shown, it is the *Darwinists* who are being
    unscientific:

            "In fact, my argument for intelligent design is open to direct
            experimental rebuttal. Here is a thought experiment that makes the
            point clear. In Darwin's Black Box (Behe 1996) I claimed that the
            bacterial flagellum was irreducibly complex and so required
            deliberate intelligent design. The flip side of this claim is that the
            flagellum can't be produced by natural selection acting on random
            mutation, or any other unintelligent process. To falsify such a claim,
            a scientist could go into the laboratory, place a bacterial species
            lacking a flagellum under some selective pressure (for mobility,
            say), grow it for ten thousand generations, and see if a flagellum -or
            any equally complex system--was produced. If that happened, my
            claims would be neatly disproven. ...Let's turn the tables and ask,
            how could one falsify the claim that, say, the bacterial flagellum was
            produced by Darwinian processes? ... If a scientist went into the
            laboratory and grew a flagellum-less bacterial species under
            selective pressure for many generations and nothing much
            happened, would Darwinists be convinced that natural selection is
            incapable of producing a flagellum? I doubt it. It could always be
            claimed that the selective pressure wasn't the right one, or that we
            started with the wrong bacterial species, and so on. Even if the
            experiment were repeated many times under different conditions
            and always gave a negative result, I suspect many Darwinists would
            not conclude that the claim of its Darwinian evolution was falsified.
            Of complex biochemical systems Coyne himself writes "we may
            forever be unable to envisage the first protopathways. It is not
            valid, however, to assume that, because one man cannot imagine
            such pathways, they could not have existed." (Coyne 1996) If a
            person accepts Darwinian paths which are not only unseen, but
            which we may be forever unable to envisage, then it is effectively
            impossible to make him think he is wrong." (Behe M.J.,
            "Philosophical Objections to Intelligent Design: Response to
            Critics," Discovery Institute July 31, 2000.
            http://www.discovery.org/embeddedRecentArticles.php3?id=445)

    CH>I have never seen,
    >though Dembski and cohorts profess to possess, any viable means of testing
    >this hypothesis.

    Hamrick has either not looked, or more likely doesn't want to. Besides, if
    Hamrick believes that "intelligent design" is "a well-thought out, perfectly
    logical hypothesis that the universe and the living things in it are too
    specifically complex to have arisen by random chance alone" then why
    doesn't *he* himself test it?

    CH>Dembski makes claims of a mathematical model based on
    >probability statistics that can sort out designed objects from undesigned
    >ones. However, I have never seen any articles that enumerate and explain
    >this model so that scientists can review it for it's scientific merit.

    Dembski has done just this in a monograph "The Design Inference" that
    was published by Cambridge University Press.

    If Hamrick's claim is that Dembski hasn't published in mainstream peer-
    reviewed scientific journals like SCIENCE or NATURE, as Mike Behe's
    experience shows, it would be rejected out of hand by the scientific
    materialists who control science.

    CH>Dr. Dembski also is quite free with his use of the word 'theory'. As
    >someone who considers one of his areas of specialization as the philosophy
    >of science, Dr. Dembski should understand that a theory, in the scientific
    >sense, is a broad idea with implications reaching into many areas of
    >science and is based on a long list of scientific research supported by
    >data.

    This sounds like Hamrick's own special definition of "theory". The
    Webster's Dictionary (which Hamrick had cited earlier) defines "theory" as:

            http://m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=theory ...
            theory ... 1 : the analysis of a set of facts in their relation to one
            another 2 : abstract thought : SPECULATION 3 : the general or
            abstract principles of a body of fact, a science, or an art <music
            theory> 4 a : a belief, policy, or procedure proposed or followed as
            the basis of action <her method is based on the theory that all
            children want to learn> b : an ideal or hypothetical set of facts,
            principles, or circumstances -- often used in the phrase in theory <in
            theory, we have always advocated freedom for all> 5 : a plausible
            or scientifically acceptable general principle or body of principles
            offered to explain phenomena <wave theory of light> 6 a : a
            hypothesis assumed for the sake of argument or investigation b : an
            unproved assumption : CONJECTURE c : a body of theorems
            presenting a concise systematic view of a subject <theory of
            equations> synonym see HYPOTHESIS ...

    If having to be "based on a long list of scientific research" is a criterion for
    a scientific "theory" then it would be difficult, if not impossible for a
    radically new theory to even get started!

    Which is no doubt exactly what Hamrick and other Darwinists want!

    CH>Considering that one of the purposes of his work is "the promotion
    >and advancement of research involving the development and application of
    >mathematical tools from probability, complexity, information, stochastic
    >process and recursion theory. These tools will be used to analyze various
    >cosmological, physical, chemical and biological structures and processes,
    >with a view toward the empirical detection of design, if it is there to be
    >found", I have to say that the research on how to test the hypothesis has
    >yet to begin. So how can an untested hypothesis suddenly become a theory?

    Hamrick is splitting hairs. I am sure that Dembski and other IDers would
    not particular care if ID is termed a "hypothesis" at this stage. But the fact
    is that the same Webster's dictionary which Hamrick cited earlier defines
    "theory" as a whole range of things:

            http://m-w.com/cgi- bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=hypothesis
            ... hypothesis ... 1 a : an assumption or concession made for the
            sake of argument b : an interpretation of a practical situation or
            condition taken as the ground for action 2 : a tentative assumption
            made in order to draw out and test its logical or empirical
            consequences 3 : the antecedent clause of a conditional statement
            synonyms HYPOTHESIS, THEORY, LAW mean a formula
            derived by inference from scientific data that explains a principle
            operating in nature. HYPOTHESIS implies insufficient evidence to
            provide more than a tentative explanation <a hypothesis explaining
            the extinction of the dinosaurs>. THEORY implies a greater range
            of evidence and greater likelihood of truth <the theory of
            evolution>. LAW implies a statement of order and relation in nature
            that has been found to be invariable under the same conditions <the
            law of gravitation>. ...

    most of which ID would probably be happy with at this stage.

    CH>Dr. Dembski does not write scientific articles. In order for scientists
    >to gain acceptance of their research, they must publish their research in
    >peer reviewed journals.

    Which are totally controlled by philosophical materialist-naturalists!

    Witness what happened to Behe's attempts to have his ID theories
    published in leading scientific journals:

            "Much of the material shown posted as "responses to critics" on
            this website was originally submitted to several science journals for
            consideration for publication. In every case it was turned down.
            Below I have included the correspondence between the journals and
            myself. Names of journals and individuals have been omitted. The
            take-home lesson I have learned is that, while some science journal
            editors are individually tolerant and will entertain thoughts of
            publishing challenges to current views, when a group (such as the
            editorial board) gets together, orthodoxy prevails. Admittedly the
            conclusion is based on a small number of experiences, yet years go
            by while the experiences accumulate." (Behe M.J.,
            "Correspondence with Science Journals: Response to critics
            concerning peer-review," Discovery Institute, August 2, 2000.
            http://www.discovery.org/embeddedRecentArticles.php3?id=450).

    CH>By the time a paper has been published in refereed
    >journal, a number of researchers and editors have read over the article and
    >determined its validity and integrity as scientific research. Also, in a
    >way, the organization that publishes the journal has declared that this is
    >the kind of research they wish to support and represent. In an interesting
    >study by George Gilchrist at the University of Washington in Seattle, he
    >performed a literature search in five computerized databases (BIOSIS,
    >Expanded Academic Index, Life Sciences Collection, Medline, and Science
    >Citation Index) that catalog scientific periodicals, books, and reports
    >from 1982-1997 using the keywords "intelligent design".

    CH>He found that "This search of several hundred thousand scientific reports
    >published over several years failed to discover a single instance of
    >biological research using intelligent design theory to explain life's
    >diversity". I will take this one step further. I doubt that Dr. Dembski
    >or any proponent of intelligent design has ever even submitted an article
    >explaining intelligent design to any scientific journal. If they had, then
    >it would certainly be rejected for publication due to a lack of real
    >scientific merit.

    See above. Since "lack of real scientific merit" is defined by materialist-
    naturalists as not according to materialist-naturalist philosophy, of course
    ID theories must always be rejected for "lack of real scientific merit"!

    If materialist-naturalists continue to block ID's access to leading scientific
    journals, then the IDers will have no alternative but to go over and around
    them.

    It is my *personal* view (not necessarily that of the ID movement) that if
    the materialist-naturalists continue to be intransigent in blocking ID's
    access scientific journals, then they risk a split in science, similar to the split
    in Western Christianity that occurred in the Reformation:

            "It seems to be not farfetched to compare the current state of
            science (and more generally that of academe) to the situation of the
            Church at the time of the Reformation, which has been described in
            the following way by De Lamar Jensen:

            `Until the middle years...the actual number of clergy [read
            scientists] increased, but then a decline set in. Even before the
            outbreak of the...revolt, their prestige and influence were already
            waning. Whether justified or not, the general population's growing
            disrespect for the clergy [read scientists], especially the monks
            [read researcher-scholars], tended to weaken some of the bonds of
            the Christian [read scientific] community and make the church [read
            scientific institutions] as a whole more vulnerable to criticism and
            attack. It had not been above criticism in earlier ages, but now it
            was becoming the practice rather than the exception to blame the
            institution as a whole, along with individual members of it, for
            infractions...of law and...ethics. As...abuses increased, the
            recognition and condemnation of those abuses mounted
            proportionally. To compensate for their declining prestige, many
            clergymen [read scientists] became even more avaricious [asking
            for ever lower teaching loads, higher salaries, freedom to consult
            and to found business enterprises; ignoring conflicts of interest],
            and the growing chasm between the priesthood [read scientists] and
            the laity, and between the higher and lower clergy [read
            administrators and practicing scientists], widened.' (Jensen D.L.,
            "Reformation Europe: Age of Reform and Revolution," Heath:
            Lexington MA, 1981, p.14)

            (Bauer H.H., "Scientific Literacy and the Myth of the Scientific
            Method," [1992], University of Illinois Press: Urbana and Chicago
            IL., 1994, pp.83-84. Words in square brackets in original.)

    Such a split into ID and anti-ID streams of science would be *disastrous*
    for science, and will lead to a decimation of materialistic-naturalistic
    scientists' careers as ID researchers rightfully gained access to their fair
    share of publicly funded scientific resources. But if it happens (and the
    lesson of history is that it probably will), then materialist-naturalists will
    only have themselves to blame.

    CH>This rejection of publication would lend credence to their belief in a vast
    >naturalistic conspiracy against them in the scientific community.

    No. It simply means that those who believe in philosophical or
    epistemological materialism-naturalism, would all tend think the same
    about an ID theory, without the need for any pre-arranged
    "conspiracy".

    CH>I have heard no one in the Intelligent Design movement cry 'foul' when
    >their papers on intelligent design are rejected by peer review scientific
    >journals. Finally, I would like to point out the hypocrisy in
    >Dr. Dembski's point, "Most scientific theories these days are initially
    >published in specialized journals or monographs, and are directed toward
    >experts assumed to possess considerable technical background. Not so
    >Darwin's theory. The locus classicus for Darwin's theory remains his
    >*Origin of Species*. In it Darwin took his case to the public."
    >Considering that Dembski, Johnson, Meyer, and Behe have all written books
    >on intelligent design for the general public and nothing for the scientific
    >community, isn't this a case, as we say in Texas, of 'the pot calling the
    >kettle black'?

    No. It is necessary in every major scientific revolution that
    those proposing the major paradigm shift take their message
    simultaneously to the general public. Darwin did it in order
    to go over the heads of the scientific establishment of his day
    and waited *20 years* as he built up support among young up-and-coming
    leading scientists like Huxley and Hooker.

    The ID leaders realise that it might take a generation for this
    change to start becoming evident, but quite satisfactory progress is being
    made. Already ID has been established in the national consciousness
    as *the* official scientific opposition to scientific materialism.

    We are witnessing the early stages of scientific revolution (or maybe
    counter-revolution) in the making that will rival the Copernican and
    Darwinian revolutions!

    CH>I write this article not so much to disparage Dr. Dembski or other
    >Intelligent Design Creationists, but to point out that in many of their
    >writings they are attempting to pass off their ideas as real science
    >without actually using the scientific method used by professional
    >scientists around the world.

    It never seems to occur to Hamrick that the vast majority of the
    *leading* "professional scientists around the world" are *atheists*.
    To expect that this would not have a decisive effect on *their*
    "ideas" of what "real science" and "the scientific method" is
    either hopelessly naive or disingenous.

    If Hamrick is a Christian does he think that original sin somehow
    stops at the Academy of Sciences' gates? Does he think that a
    group of people comprised largely of atheists, is more likely
    to have purer motives than a group of people comprised largely
    of Christians? If he really does think that, then the logical
    conclusion is that atheism is true, and Christianity false!

    CH>It does not surprise me that Dembski spent so
    >much of his article discussing the public perception of Darwinian evolution
    >and intelligent design. The need to be perceived as legitimate,
    >professional scientists is important to the Intelligent Design
    >Creationists.

    It is not so much that they "need to be perceived as legitimate,
    professional scientists". They *are* "legitimate, professional
    scientists"! What the IDers need to do is counter the propaganda
    put out by the scientific establishment that they aren't.

    CH>In 'What every theologian should know about creation,
    >evolution and design', Dembski agrees with Johnson in that 'science is the
    >only universally valid form of knowledge within our culture'.

    This might give the impression that Dembski and Johnson agree that this is
    how it *should* be. But in the article itself, and more clearly in another
    article, Dembski made it clear that this view should be *challenged" as
    "over-inflated":

            "The over-inflated role of science within our society must not be
            left unchallenged, and certainly not by Christian educators. Within
            our society, science is advertised as the only universally valid form
            of knowledge." (Dembski W.A., "Teaching intelligent design as
            religion or science?" Reprinted from The Princeton Theological
            Review, April 1996,
            http://www.origins.org/offices/dembski/docs/bd-design.html)

    CH>When you
    >take a good look at the articles written by those in the intelligent design
    >cause, you see that most of what they write is a lamentation of the
    >dominant position of science in America. I have found few papers written
    >by the leaders of the intelligent design movement that were not mostly, if
    >not wholly, dedicated to this subject.

    This is simply not so. Most of ID articles are against the *philosophy* of
    materialism-naturalism in *science*. But no doubt because Hamrick equates
    materialism-naturalism *with* science, it seems to him that ID is attacking
    science itself.

    CH>Unfortunately, for a vocal few who cannot live with the idea of Darwinian
    >evolution, the Intelligent Design Creationists have given them a seemingly
    >valid scientific alternative that is really a hollow philosophical exercise.

    Hamrick should read a few opinion polls. 80%+ of the *general public*
    (not just Christians) and 40% of *scientists* "cannot live with the idea of
    Darwinian evolution". It is only a tiny minority of less than 10% of the
    general public and slightly more than half (55%) of scientists who can "live
    with the ] idea of Darwinian evolution". Indeed, it is debatable whether
    *anyone* including Hamrick and even Dawkins, can *really* "live with the
    idea of Darwinian evolution".

    CH>Finally, I would like to state that as an instructor in the Biology
    >department at Baylor University, I teach that all living things evolve,
    >that Darwin's Theory of Natural Selection is our best explanation for how
    >things evolve, that there are flaws in his theory that need to be
    >addressed,

    Indeed, but these "flaws" are not allowed to be pointed out to school
    students:

    http://www.worldnetdaily.com/bluesky_fosterj_news/20000725_xnfoj_evolution_.shtml
    WorldNetDaily.com ... JULY 25 ... BRAVE NEW SCHOOLS Evolution
    critic censored Teacher punished for pointing out flaws in Darwin's theory
    ... A high school science teacher in Minneapolis, Minn., filed an appeal in
    state court yesterday, seeking reinstatement as a biology teacher after he
    was banned from teaching the course due to his criticism of Charles
    Darwin's theory of evolution. The American Center for Law and Justice, an
    international public interest law firm, has represented Rod LeVake since his
    initial lawsuit in June 1999 against Faribault High School. Accused by the
    school's curriculum director of having a deep conflict between his religious
    beliefs and the teaching of evolution, LeVake sued the school, denying that
    such a conflict exists and demanding to be allowed to teach biology again.
    According to the ACLJ, the teacher repeatedly has assured school officials
    that he could and would teach the theory of evolution. The lawsuit
    contends that LeVake, who holds a masters degree in biology education,
    told his superiors he is not interested in teaching creationism in biology
    class, but simply wants his students to be aware that not all scientists
    accept evolution as an unquestionable fact. He wants to present "an honest
    look at some of the scientific weaknesses of Darwin's theory of evolution,"
    said the ACLJ in a statement. ... "This is a case about academic freedom
    and a desire to present information about the origins of life," said Francis J.
    Manion, senior regional counsel of ACLJ-Midwest, who is representing the
    biology teacher. "Teachers must be able to tell students information they
    need to make up their minds about issues such as evolution. In this case,
    our client wants to be able to look closely at the theory of evolution and
    point out flaws concerning Darwin's evolutionary theory -- flaws that are
    often articulated by other evolutionists. Unfortunately, it appears the
    school district is determined to censor this teacher because they do not
    agree with his message," he said. ...

    CH>and that it is possible to be a good Christian and a good
    >scientist, despite the Intelligent Design Creationists' attempts to
    >polarize the two ways of living.

    Interesting how Hamrick puts it - "possible"!

    But Hamrick simply ignores the fact that the leading *Darwinists* have
    polarized "the two ways of living", from Darwin who wrote "I can indeed
    hardly see how anyone ought to wish Christianity to be true" (Grene M.,
    "The Faith of Darwinism," Encounter, Vol. 74, November 1959, p.48), to
    Dawkins today who claims that religious "faith is one of the world's great
    evils, comparable to the smallpox virus but harder to eradicate." (Dawkins
    R., "Is Science a Religion?" The Humanist (vol. 57, Jan/Feb 1997), p. 26).

    Why doesn't Hamrick publicly criticise also his atheist Darwinist colleagues
    rather than exclusively criticising his Christian brothers? After all, the
    Darwinists are actually in *power* whereas Dembski and Johnson are not.

    [...]

    >Copyright 2000 iiNet Limited (ACN 068 628 937, ABN 48 068 628 937). All Rights
    Reserved.

    Stephen E. (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ Email: sejones@iinet.net.au
    3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ Web: http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones
    Warwick 6024 -> *_,--\_/ Phone: +61 8 9448 7439
    Perth, Western Australia v "Test everything." (1 Thess. 5:21)