Re: A Question of Abiogenesis

From: Brian D Harper (bharper@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 17:58:43 EDT

    At 09:58 AM 8/18/00 -0700, Ted wrote:

    [...]

    > > TH>However, an artificial setting is a different story, yes. And,
    > > >strangely enough, that's where abiogenesis research is taking
    > > >place today :)
    > >
    > > Tedd makes it sound like it is new. In fact a "abiogenesis research" has
    > > been "taking place" in laboratories since at least *1953*, i.e. 47 years
    > > (!) and no life has yet emerged spontaneously.
    >
    > Well, gosh, medical research has been going on since the *1800*s,
    > i.e. 200 years (!) and we still can't cure the common cold.
    > I guess we ought to give up know and just conclude God created
    > Viral Rhinitis to make life difficult for us? :)

    IMHO, any reasonable appreciation of the history of science indicates
    that abiogenesis research is still in its infancy. About mechanics,
    Rene Dugas writes:

    "... there are few sciences which have required so much
           thought -- the conquest of a few axioms has taken more
           than 2000 years."
           -- Rene Dugas, <A History of Mechanics>, Dover, 1988.

    Brian Harper
    Associate Professor
    Mechanical Engineering
    The Ohio State University