Re: Johnson's complacency

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 18:23:18 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Sun, 13 Aug 2000 10:33:53 -0500 (CDT), Wesley R. Elsberry wrote:

    [...]

    >SJ>I don't think that most IDers believe in common descent but
    >>it might be fair to say that many IDers (including probably
    >>Johnson) don't necessarily disagree with it. For example
    >>Johnson seems untroubled that Mike Behe believes in common
    >>descent.

    WE>Johnson's complacency concerning the beliefs of fellow ID proponents
    >is, indeed, a wonder to behold. But Johnson's complacency over Mike
    >Behe's mealy-mouthed I-see-no-reason-to-disbelieve-common-descent

    What's "mealy-mouthed" about that? It is a perfectly reasonable scientific
    statement.

    I suspect that what Wesley is really upset about is that Mike Behe
    punctures his attempts to equate ID with YEC!

    WE>pales into insignificance compared to the complacency Johnson shows
    >for Jonathan Wells' rather more enthusiastic belief that Rev. Moon
    >is today's Jesus Christ.
    ><http://www.tparents.org/Library/Unification/Talks/Wells/0-Toc.htm>

    Wesley is again confusing ID and Christian creationism. The fact is that the
    ID movement includes agnostics and Jews, neither of whom would agree
    with Johnson on who Jesus Christ is.

    The fact is that ID and Christianity are two entirely different things and
    nothing better shows this by the fact that one of the leaders of the ID
    movement is a Moonie.

    When I found about this it actually enhanced Johnson in my eyes. Many
    Christian leaders would be concerned about the public relations liability
    that Wells might represent. The fact is that Wells from the very beginning
    told Johnson he was a member of the Unification Church and Johnson still
    welcomed him into the fledgling ID movement. Phil Johnson is a *very*
    special human being!
    WE>I think trying to conclude that Johnson holds or does not hold any
    >particular stance cannot reasonably be argued by his complacency
    >towards others who hold antithetical stances. It simply does not
    >follow.

    The fact is that it *does* "follow" in *both* cases. Johnson is quite
    "complacent" about having even in the *leadership* of the ID movement
    those who are not orthodox Christians and those who believe in common
    ancestry.

    Wesley's problem is that this does not fit the "Intelligent Design
    Creationist" stereotype that Wesley and his ilk have tried to foster. It
    would be so much easier for them if Johnson restricted membership of the
    ID movement to orthodox creationist Christians!

    Sooner or later it might sink in to Wesley (and others) that the ID
    movement is a *scientific* movement, which is concerned with
    demonstrating the empirical evidence for the existence of intelligent cause
    in the history of life, and not for who the cause Agent or agency was.

    Johnson (and I) believe that the Christian God was the cause Agent, but
    that cannot be demonstrated from *nature* (that's why there is a Bible).
    And since the scope of the ID movement is *nature* (and not the Bible),
    Johnson can quite consistently join common cause with anyone who
    believes that there is evidence of design in nature, no matter what their
    other beliefs are about who was behind that design or how it was effected.

    Indeed, if Johnson denied membership of the ID movement to Wells (on
    the grounds he had unorthodox views about Jesus Christ), or to Mike Behe
    (on the grounds that he believed in common ancestry), then Wesley would
    no doubt be among the first to accuse Johnson of hypocrisy. The bottom
    line is that it wouldn't matter what Johnson did. In the eyes of Wesley and
    his ilk, Johnson would always be damned if he did, and damned if he didn't!

    "The firm step toward explaining the appearance of living things had been
    taken. The elementary organic constituents required for the construction of
    the big molecules, from which life subsequently developed, may be formed
    spontaneously and easily. It seemed that once the first steps had been
    taken, the others would have followed easily. Research scientists threw
    themselves unhesitatingly into the frenetic race to be the first to synthesize
    living matter in the laboratory; but so far no one has succeeded. There are,
    in fact, many thresholds to be crossed. Life is based upon two mutually
    interactive systems, one of which makes provision for growth and the other
    for reproduction. The systems are also interdependent, and neither may
    exist without the other. Which was formed first? The answer that they were
    formed simultaneously is too simple to be acceptable. The problem of how
    the first living organism was formed has still to be solved." (Minelli G.,
    "The Evolution of Life: The History of Life on Earth," [1985], Facts on
    File: New York NY, 1986, p.5)