Re: What is a "Darwinist'?

From: Huxter4441@aol.com
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 16:57:57 EDT

    In a message dated 8/12/00 8:42:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Bertvan@aol.com
    writes:

    << << Huxter:And why do you insist on using that moniker? Whne[pardon my
    typo]
    >>>referring to evolutionists?

      Bertvan:
    >> Because I am not necessarily skeptical of "evolution", only Darwin's
    >>version: random mutation and natural selection. This is true of most IDs.

    >Huxter I wasn't aware that Darwin said anything about mutations. How many
     actual Darwinists do you know? You do realize, skepticism or no, there is
    evidence
    >for selection, right?

     Bertvan:
     Hi Huxter, Are you telling me "random mutation and natural selection" isn't
     Darwin's term? (It's not my bible and I don't keep a copy handy, but I'm
     sure someone else on the list knows whether Darwin actually used the term.)
    .

    *** It is not my bible either. In fact, I have only read part of it. Steve
    Jones is the one that uses a bible. Yes, I am telling you that Darwin said
    nothing of random mutation. Even if it were, so what?***

      Some form common ancestry was discussed decades before Darwin, and I
    believe
     Darwin's contribution was the theory that life's complexity was the result
    of
     small random changes, (without plan, purpose or design) , and that those
     organism with the most advantageous (complex?) changes thrived and
    produced
     progeny at the expense of those lacking such advantageous mutations. Thus
     natural selection supposedly (gradually) "designed" complex organisms. (If
     this is not your belief, we might not necessarily be in disagreement.)

    **** Darwin spoke of life's diversity - complexity is a religio-political
    buzz word used when arguing against science. You seem to imply that you
    believe that there IS plan, purpoe, and design in the random variations in a
    population. If so, what is your evidence for this? Natural selection
    selected for organuisms that were best able to produce offspring, i.e., best
    adapted to a particular environment and selected aginst those that were/are
    not. It is not advantageous for cetaceans to have hind limbs, so the
    apparatus that limbs used to be attached to is selected agaisnt, i.e., whales
    born without the are better off in the long run.***

      The only person on the list I've asked if they believe random mutation and
     natural selection created life's complexity was Susan, and she proudly
     announced she did. Most who write about evolution acknowledge the term,
     "random mutation and natural selection".

    **** Yes, they do. Implicit in this 'belief', I am confident, is also an
    understanding that there are other mechanisms involved (e.g. drift).
    Darwinism better describes a belief that ONLY gradual accumulations of change
    result in diversification. What you and others that use the terms Darwinist
    and Darwinism are doing is tantamount to someone like me referring ot IDers
    and creationists as Flat Earthers.***

    Certainly Dawkins does, as does Gould. Any biologist who questions "random
    mutation and natural selection" as the designer of life's complexity is
    promptly attacked as an anti-evolutionist, such as Denton or Behe.

    *** If you say so. Sounds more like you are trumpeting the party line. Behe
    and Denton are 'attacked' for 1) bypassing normal channels of scientific
    inquiry/discussion by publishing their opinions as facts in a vanity press
    without any sort of peer review 2) using erroneous or otherwise inapplicable
    data to reach their 'conclusions, etc., and rightly so. ***

     Both believe in common descent. Our own Steve Jones believes in common
    descent, as do most people supporting ID.

    *** Really? Do you think he 'believes' that humans and chimps sharfe a recent
    common ancestry? I doubt it. And the reason for that is obvious.
    Creationists of all stripes accept common descent of some sort - they HAVE
    to, for a number of reasons. But they all seem to draw arbitrary lines,
    depending on their philosophical blinders.***

    If anyone admits they don't know how life's complexity arose, I don't
    disagree with them. Yes, I know selection probably occurs. It selects
    traits and genes already in the gene pool.

    *** And you think that these already existing genes were put there by some
    benevolence. As a belief, thats fine. But as science, where's the beef? ***

    I question that it is responsible for creating complex, novel organs, systems
    and body parts. Those were "created" by the "mutations". I'm skeptical
    that those mutations occurred without plan, purpose, or design. Since that
    is something that can be neither proved nor disproved at this point, I
    insist that everyone is
     entitled to their own judgement on the matter.

    *** Sure - anyone can 'believe' anything they want to. In the realm of
    science, however, one cannot simply trot out their personal beliefs with no
    evidenciary support and insist that they are equivalent in respectability to
    those that DO present evidence for their 'beliefs.' You 'believe' that there
    is plan and purpose in the extant and extinct diversity we see - where is the
    evidence?