What is a Darwinist?

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 12:04:25 EDT

    BV>If anyone admits they don't know how life's complexity arose, I don't
    >>disagree with them. Yes, I know selection probably occurs. It selects
    >>traits and genes already in the gene pool. I question that it is
    responsible
    >>for creating complex, novel organs, systems and body parts. Those were
    >>"created" by the "mutations". I'm skeptical that those mutations
    occurred
    >>without plan, purpose, or design. Since that is something that can be
    >>neither proved nor disproved at this point, I insist that everyone is
    >>entitled to their own judgement on the matter.

    Steve Jones:
    >I certainly agree with Berthajane on this. While I believe that design in
    >general, and ID in particular, are both true, and that therefore all
    theories
    >of naturalistic evolution which ignore or deny design are, to the extent
    they
    >do so, false, I do not believe that such evolutionists should therefore be
    >suppressed. To me the optimum situation is where all the assumptions and
    >facts can be laid out by all sides with people being free to make up their
    >own minds.

    >Unlike the naturalistic evolutionists, I am confident enough of my position
    >that if people were given *all* the assumptions, and all the facts for and
    >against both design and undesigned naturalistic evolution, a large number
    >(if not most), would chose design.

    Bertvan
    Thank you, Steve. I'm not always "confident of my facts", but I know you
    will usually produce them if they exist. My main interest in this
    controversy is arguing for everyone to get a fair hearing, without fear of
    abuse or ridicule. And that is happening. I understand a peer-reviewed
    journal has promised Behe to publish a paper on ID within the next 800
    years. :-) No idea could be as much of a danger as its attempted suppression
    would be. Opinion changes slowly and a new generation, not already committed
    to defend any orthodoxy, might be more open to ID. Have you noticed any sign
    of such open discussion among your fellow students?

    Bertvan