Re: More about teaching the controversy

From: Tedd Hadley (hadley@reliant.yxi.com)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 18:55:10 EDT

    Bertvan@aol.com writes
      in message <2f.90d2041.26c470ef@aol.com>:

    > Bertvan:
    > Hi Tedd. I am not interested in discussing the details of
    > scientific evidence.

       Well, then there's little to discuss, since reasoning about
       scientific evidence - empirical knowledge - is the only sure
       way to eliminate a faulty impression of the universe. What's
       left is dangerously uncertain: subjective impressions, gut
       feelings, intutition, wishful thinking.

     <snip>
    > If RM&NS is so obviously the superior explanation, why all the
    > effort to ensure that the ID position is not heard?

       That's more conspiracy theory than fact, made more plausible by
       only reading one side's versions of the controversy. All minority
       views voice the same complaint ad naeuseum. It seems far more
       likely that the views themselves lack substance than that
       scientists would reject perfectly well reasoned substance because
       it questions the status quo. And sure enough: we find that ID
       science is just plain weak by admission of even some of their
       sympathizers. Science is conservative and scientific consensus
       won't change without good solid arguments.

       I keep making these statements expecting an ID proponent to
       challenge them on the basis of scientific evidence. I guess
       not you, though, Bertvan. I guess your argument is that since
       Philip Johnson is polite he must be right? (Are we reading the
       same Philip Johnson??)

    > For that matter, why get hysterical about those people who happen
    > to believe in a literal translation of Genesis? Do you actually
    > fear that is going to replace science?

       "Hysterical" is clearly an emotional overcharacterization,
       but to answer why I, personally, am made uncomfortable by the
       knowledge that there exist people who believe in a literal
       interpretation of Genesis, it's because that view forces people
       to either segregate themselves from society to prevent exposure
       to counter-evidence (I don't like segregation on principle),
       and/or it entails painful realizations and drastic worldview
       realignment for those individuals who do find out the truth.
       In short, I'm not comfortable with the idea that people have a
       right to keep other people ignorant. Ignorance leads to
       suffering in many ways. But force-feeding people knowledge
       is obviously not the way, either. People resist knowledge
       for fear that it may weaken cherished ideals. (Would that
       we all could be atheists, starting from a position of
       despair, humility and full recognition of the inconsequentiality
       of human beings before processing the evidence and maybe
       finding reason to hope. Going the other way from the position
       of God's ultimate creation to a collection of atoms seems to
       present so many more obstacles.)

    > Bertvan:
    > You seem to feel it is enough to demonstrate that RM&NS *could*
    > happen. I'm more interested in whether it appears likely that
    > [ life ] *did* happen by RM&NS.

       I'd think you'd be looking at the scientific evidence and
       attempting to see on which side it best fits. Instead, you seem
       be using a subjective impression of a couple of biologists and
       a lawyer combined with your gut feelings, intuition, and what
       seems to be a degree of wishful thinking to disprove RM&NS in
       your mind. If the history of science has been any indication,
       that's not going to work, and further, it will fail disasterously.