Re: ID unfalsifiable?

From: David Bradbury (dabradbury@mediaone.net)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 15:11:07 EDT

    On Aug. 8, Richard Wein wrote:
    :

      [skip]

      As to whether I think the ID hypothesis is falsifiable, that depends
    on what
      precisely the ID hypothesis actually is. If the hypothesis is "an
      intelligent agent was involved in the origin of life on Earth", then I
    would
      say this is not falsifiable, because we can never have 100% complete
      knowledge of what happened in the past, so there will always be gaps
    in
      which IDers can claim that an intelligent designer was at work.

      [skip]

      Richard Wein (Tich)

    No big deal, but I'm curious. When you suggest your stated definition
    of ID is unfalsifiable (a criteria
    used by some when differentiating 'science' from 'non-science'), would
    not the same logic apply to
    evolution (macro, biological) when defined along the same lines?
    Namely, if the evolutionary
    hypothesis includes "an as yet unknown natural force (law) was involved
    in the origin of life on
    Earth". Does this not run afoul of the identical weakness you associate
    with ID?

    Which again focuses attention on our perennial problem in this field,
    the definition of 'science'.

    Dare I suggest that both ID and evolution can (in some over-broad
    context) be semantically claimed
    as falling within the PROCESS of science ... that is, they are both
    being comprehensively reviewed by
    intelligent minds striving to determine cause-and-effect explanations to
    replace existing uncertain
    (possible) descriptions concerning the origin of life on earth.

    But, and this is perhaps the major misunderstanding in the use of the
    term, ... neither qualify as
    representing a proper scientific CONCLUSION ... which is the most
    generally understood usage of
    the term. This latter requiring successfull fullment of some
    identified and accepted proof-method. Or
    some stated version of so-called scientific method.

    During the PROCESS stage, anything goes. Prior knowledge, hunches,
    insights, dreams, etc. are all
    allowed as one attempts to phrase crucial aspects of the question into a
    form (hypotheses) that can be
    verified. During this early stage of 'science', NO special level of
    respect or certainty can, or should,
    be implied or inferred.

    Only after the CONCLUSION stage is complete can the higher level of
    respect associated with
    science be properly claimed. CONCLUSIONS are reached only after
    meeting most rigorous and
    restrictive requirements. Indeed, it is by such requirements that
    'science' earns its position of respect
    and credibility. Unfortunately, too many authors "believing" their
    favored hypotheses to be true (and
    prompted by a desire to gain the credibility associated with science by
    the trusting public?) ... ignore
    the scientific method "validation" stage and proceed to promote them as
    if they were properly
    qualified scientific conclusions.

    Perhaps if participants of this newsgroup would begin to emphasise the
    proof-method successfully
    met in confirming conclusions they present as 'science', instead of just
    asserting them to be (some
    undefined aspect of) "science", we might work our way out of our
    seemingly never-ending semantic
    quagmire concerning this key term.