Re: macroevolution or macromutations? (was ID)

From: billwald@juno.com
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 12:31:07 EDT

    >>Here is a test. I ask Cliff to state up front what he would accept as
    >>"positive arguments for ID", such that if I provided it, he would
    accept it?

    >I would possibly be convinced by some incredibly magical revelation,
    >some big genie in the sky doing fantastic things with a wave of the
    hand;
    >but I'd probably think I was dreaming.

    I am a creationist but I do not believe ID is detectable apart from
    direct revelation. All the "proofs" I have seen boil down to a mis-use of
    probablily and statistics.

    Consider the problem of old paintings done by dead people. Recently there
    was a story about a particular painting. For a hundred years it had been
    hanging in a museum as a work of (can't think of his name) but now some
    new experts have decided it is a forgery. To me, this is primarially
    evidence that art is a scam. If the forgery isn't noticed by experts for
    100 years then there isn't any substantial difference in painting skill
    between the great painting master and the forger. The forger might be the
    superior artist.

    So even when the intelligent designer signs his work we can't
    differentiate between the official artist and the imposter. Isn't that
    the current state of this debate? In any list of historical events
    (evolution is a historical event) there is no way to seperate God's
    direct intervention from "stuff happens" except by the moral outcome. And
    if we blame satan for bad moral outcomes the situation gets worse.

    billwald@juno.com
    Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.