IDC being pushed

From: Wesley R. Elsberry (welsberr@inia.cls.org)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 00:30:44 EDT

    Stephen Jones wrote:

    [...]

    WE>If anyone doubts that the DI CRSC has made it their policy
    >to push teaching IDC concepts in secondary schools, have a
    >look at
    ><http://www.discovery.org/crsc/CRSCdbEngine.php3?id=48>.

    SJ>Thanks to Wesley for posting this. But again it is mainly a
    SJ>critique of evolution. I do not see it as a full-blown
    SJ>positive argument for ID. It's author, David DeWolf, is a
    SJ>professor of law, not one of ID's scientists or
    SJ>philosophers. So he would be unlikely to take the lead in
    SJ>proposing a scientific or philosophical argument for
    SJ>ID. Another law professor ,Phil Johnson, would do that before
    SJ>him. DeWolf's forte is the *legal* side of helping those
    SJ>teachers who are trying to correct evolution's errors and
    SJ>expose its philosophical assumptions.

    SJ>The title and objectives of the document make this clear.

    [...]

    Denial is not healthy.

    [Quote]

    We're not suggesting that these theories [Origins stories from other
    religions - WRE] be presented, although there would be no scientific
    reason to suppress them; the reason we think that a biology teacher
    would be wise to present intelligent design along with Darwinism is
    that it is a necessary corrective to the impression frequently given
    that Darwinism is the only scientific theory of biological
    origins. Moreover, it explicitly addresses the question of the origin
    for the appearance of design, which is the central question that
    scientists have been addressing, both before and after Darwin. Also,
    since intelligent design is now attracting a good deal of serious
    attention among scientists, it is appropriate for teaching at the high
    school level.

    [End Quote - http://www.discovery.org/crsc/CRSCdbEngine.php3?id=48]

    Wesley