IDC being pushed

From: Wesley R. Elsberry (welsberr@inia.cls.org)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 23:37:33 EDT

    Stephen Jones wrote:

    [...]

    WE>I use the "IDC" term based upon the evidence, not "in spite of"
    >the evidence. Stephen is welcome to differ in his interpretation.
    >As he notes, convincing the ideologically committed is
    >unnecessary.

    SJ>There is no need for "interpretation" in this case. The plain
    SJ>fact is that Todd Moody is an *agnostic* professor of
    SJ>philosophy and a valued member of the ID movement. Here is the
    SJ>"evidence" again:

    [...]

    The existence of fellow-travelers (I figure that phrase is
    less objectionable than the similar and possibly more
    applicable phrase "useful idiots") like Moody doesn't set
    aside the fact that the IDC movement is primarily populated by
    people whose religion underlies their anti-evolutionary
    activity and which finds its largest base of support among
    theistic anti-evolutionists. The IDC concepts are constructed
    with regard to the legal problems encountered by YEC
    activists. The property of "traveling light" with regard to
    theology stems from a purposeful attempt to evade one of the
    prongs of the Lemon test. While these demographics apply to
    ID proponents, I feel no problem at all in using the IDC
    label to characterize them. Get back to me when the theistic
    anti-evolutionist proportion of the ID crowd drops below 50%.

    Wesley