Re: ID

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 18:16:13 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:06:51 -0500 (CDT), Wesley R. Elsberry wrote:

    [...]

    >SJ>See above. Since ID is a *scientific* theory, there would
    >be nothing wrong with it being taught in schools.

    WE>People keep saying that, but also keep failing to point out
    >how the claim is justified. .

    As I have pointed out many times before, to someone with a prior
    philosophical position that science is inherently materialistic and
    naturalistic, ID can *never* be science.

    But ID does not need to convince committed materialist-naturalists that it
    is science. That cannot be done. All that ID needs to do is convince the
    general public that ID is science and eventually materialist-naturalists will
    either have to accept ID within science or part of materialistic-naturalistic
    science's public funding will be removed to pay for ID science.

    WE>Dembski has not made IDC concepts science yet, certainly.

    The adding of the "C" (i.e. "creationist") to "ID" shows that the
    materialist-naturalists cannot accept, for *philosophical* reasons,
    that ID is science.

    The simple fact is that ID is not "creationism" (even though many
    IDers are, like me, creationists) because some IDers are theistic
    evolutionists and some are not even theists. I sent the following
    in a recent response to one of Chris' posts:

    That "creationism is a form of intelligent design theory" does not mean
    that intelligent design theory is a form of creationism. As I have pointed out
    previously, there are members of the ID movement who are not even theists,
    like Todd Moody, an agnostic philosophy professor:

    http://www.christianityonline.com/ct/2000/006/1.42.html ... Christianity
    Today May 22, 2000, Vol. 44, No. 6, Page 42 .... We're Not in Kansas
    Anymore. Why secular scientists and media can't admit that Darwinism
    might be wrong. By Nancy Pearcey | posted 5/19/00 Thus the id movement
    has become a "big tent," attracting people from a variety of religious
    backgrounds. CRSC fellow David Berlinski, who has published
    Commentary articles critical of Darwinism, is Jewish. In Kansas, board
    supporters included local Muslims and a group of Hare Krishnas, who
    showed up at a meeting wearing saffron robes. Even agnostics who believe
    the universe is in some sense teleological have teamed up with the id
    movement--figures like Michael Denton, author of the influential
    Evolution: A Theory in Crisis. His most recent book, Nature's Destiny,
    argues that purpose pervades the universe at all levels. "The power of ID is
    precisely its minimalism," says Todd Moody, an agnostic and professor at
    St. Joseph's University in Philadelphia. "It travels light, with no theological
    baggage."

    I posted this to the List on Thu, 25 May 2000, so if Chris saw it, yet is
    still claiming that ID is a form of creationism, it shows that his is a
    position that is impervious to evidence.

    Now if Wesley does not drop the "C" from "IDC" it shows that his position
    too, is "impervious to evidence".

    >SJ>But I am not aware of anyone in the ID movement who is
    >pushing for ID to be taught in schools.

    [...]

    WE>Personal ignorance is not a reliable means of characterizing
    >real world events.

    Nevertheless, that I am a member of the ID movement and aware of most
    of what ID is doing, yet I am not aware of any push to have ID itself taught
    in public schools, is a fact.

    I do not regard exposing the philosophical assumptions of evolution and its
    problems, weaknesses and errors, as ID. Indeed, it is what evolution itself
    should be doing!

    But I probably should have added something about the ID leadership,
    which is what I did mean, but expressed it badly . It is always possible that
    individual IDers who are not members of the ID leadership are, on an
    individual basis, trying to teach ID in public schools.

    I also should point out that my denial that there is, as yet, any push by the
    ID leadership to have ID itself taught in public schools, should not be
    thought as indicating some embarrassment. I wish that ID would be taught
    in public schools as soon as possible! To me it is just a matter of setting the
    record straight as to what stage ID is at.

    WE>The Roger DeHart situation recently
    >discussed here indicates heavy involvement of principals from
    >the Discovery Institute's Center for Renewal of Science and
    >Culture. Like Jonathan Wells' October 20, 1999 presentation
    >at the Burlington-Edison High School. Like William Dembski's
    >book signing in support of DeHart.

    My understanding of the above is that DeHart was trying to correct errors
    in textbooks about evolution (like Haeckel's fraudulent embryos). If
    correcting errors about evolution is defined as ID, then I stand corrected
    and ID is now being taught in public schools!

    WE>The DI CRSC congressional
    >briefing (also discussed here) was specifically aimed at
    >influencing legislators concerning educational policy.
    ><http://www.usnewswire.com/topnews/Current_Releases/0508-102.html>

    That is not actually teaching ID in public schools. But I should add
    that ID is probably moving towards teaching ID in public schools.

    WE>(Johnson, Meyer, Pearcey, and Behe as people in the IDC
    >movement looking to push the teaching of ID in schools.
    >Dembski, to his credit, withdrew from the briefing.)

    Well "looking to push the teaching of ID in schools" confirms my point.
    They are not doing it yet, except perhaps as isolated individuals.

    WE>Following the Kansas Board of Education release of new
    >standards, various indications of DI CRSC activity and
    >activism were seen by many, but apparently not Stephen. Like
    >Jay Wesley Richards' op ed piece (Darwinism and Design,
    >Washington Post, Saturday, August 21, 1999; Page A19). Like
    >the November 4, 1999 roundtable in Topeka, Kansas featuring
    >Stephen Meyer, David DeWolf, and Jonathan Wells of the DI
    >CRSC.

    See above. None of the above is about teaching ID in public schools, unless
    exposing evolution's philosophical assumptions and weakness and
    correcting its errors is defined as ID.

    WE>I think one would have to be particularly inattentive to so
    >blandly proclaim no personal knowledge of the extensive
    >efforts of the DI CRSC to influence educational policy to push
    >IDC through political process.

    No. There is simply nothing in the above that suggest that leading IDers are
    as yet " pushing for ID to be taught in schools". They are pushing to have
    the philosophical assumptions of evolution and its errors and weaknesses
    exposed, but not actually to teach ID theory.

    Of course if exposing the philosophical assumptions of evolution and its
    errors and weaknesses is defined as ID, then Wesley would be right. But I
    do not define ID as merely negatively exposing the assumptions and errors
    of evolution. I see ID also as a *positive* argument for design. That is not
    AFAIK happening in any major way yet (i.e. initiated by the ID leadership),
    but I look forward to it eventually happening in the early decades of the
    21st century.

    On Fri, 2 Jun 2000 02:03:33 -0500 (CDT), Wesley R. Elsberry wrote:

    Subject: DI CRSC and pushing IDC in schools

    WE>If anyone doubts that the DI CRSC has made it their policy
    >to push teaching IDC concepts in secondary schools, have a
    >look at
    ><http://www.discovery.org/crsc/CRSCdbEngine.php3?id=48>.

    Thanks to Wesley for posting this. But again it is mainly a critique of
    evolution. I do not see it as a full-blown positive argument for ID. It's
    author, David DeWolf, is a professor of law, not one of ID's scientists or
    philosophers. So he would be unlikely to take the lead in proposing a
    scientific or philosophical argument for ID. Another law professor ,Phil
    Johnson, would do that before him. DeWolf's forte is the *legal* side of
    helping those teachers who are trying to correct evolution's errors and
    expose its philosophical assumptions.

    The title and objectives of the document make this clear.

    Teaching the Origins Controversy:
    A Guide for the Perplexed

    David K. DeWolf
    Special Discovery Institute Report
    1999-08-20

    Introduction

    The decision of the Kansas Board of Education to change its approach to
    teaching about the issue of biological origins has stimulated considerable
    interest in the state of science, education, and law regarding how to teach
    the origins controversy. At the Center for the Renewal of Science and
    Culture, we are keenly interested in helping our schools do a better job of
    presenting the wide range of scientific interest on this subject. The author
    of this guide, David K. DeWolf, is Professor of Law at Gonzaga Law
    School (Spokane, Washington). He is also a Fellow at the Center for the
    Renewal of Science and Culture and coordinator of the CRSC's Teaching
    Training Program.

    This guide is designed to accomplish three things.

    (1) The Scientific Landscape

    To provide a brief overview of the current state of science on this topic so
    that subsequent discussions are firmly grounded in fact.

    (2) The Legal Landscape

    To review the leading legal precedents and principles that provide
    boundaries for schools and teachers in addressing this issue.

    (3) Answering Common Objections

    On Thu, 01 Jun 2000 10:27:49 -0700, Cliff Lundberg wrote:

    >SJ>There is AFAIK no plans by IDErs to have ID taught in public schools.
    >>ID's main objective is to have the philosophical assumptions of evolution
    >>and its problems taught in public schools.

    CL>What else is there to ID? Aside from the negative side, the criticism of
    >the alternative naturalistic theory, what is the science within ID, analogous
    >to the work done within evolutionary biology?

    And as I have pointed out here before, ID in its modern form is still in its
    infancy, dating probably from 1984 with the publication of Thaxton,
    Bradley and Olsen's book, "The Mystery of Life's Origin".

    ID's first task is to establish its philosophical base. Much work has been
    done on this by Johnson, Behe and Dembski.

    Having said that, some scientific work has been done by Thaxton, et al., in
    the origin of life and by Behe in irreducible complexity. But it should not be
    thought that materialism-naturalism somehow owns all the existing facts
    and ID has to go off and find its own. Facts are public property and much
    of ID's work will be in examining existing facts and separating out the
    layers of materialistic interpretation.

    Of course, those who are committed philosophical materialists will deny
    that there *can* be any evidence for ID. As I responded to Wesley's post,
    ID's task IMHO is not to convince this small, but influential minority (that
    can't be done) but to work around them by focusing on the general public.
    If materialists refuse to admit ID into science, then there probably will have
    to be a split in science, with funding being taken off materialists and
    granted to IDers.

    >SJ>Having said that, there is no reason why ID should not be taught in public
    >>schools. ID is a scientific position not a religion. It has as much right to
    >>be taught in public schools as materialistic-naturalism which is now taught in
    >>public schools.

    CL>But what would be taught, other than that evolution is wrong? And how would
    >the new model affect biological science in general?

    I have just finished Paley's "Natural Theology" (1802). If Cliff hasn't read it
    he ought to, for the *fantastic* layers of design in living things, that
    materialistic-naturalistic science has largely forgone about but has always
    been there.

    I can now understand why Darwin and Dawkins who have both read Paley
    and realised that mutations and natural selection must be gradual and tiny-
    step-by-tiny-step. They realised there is no other way those fantastic layers
    of design could have happened naturalistically.

    But to answer Cliff's question more directly, I have just finished my first
    unit "Origins & Evolution of Life" in my Biology degree. In the last 4
    lectures the topic was "Evolution" I, II, III, and IV. The atheist lecturer
    pulled out the stops and gave it to the poor kids both barrels, giving all the
    best evidence for evolution he had. He explained he was doing this because
    to many of the kids it was just an elective and this would be all they would
    ever be taught about evolution at university level. At the end he started
    criticising creationists and even Phil Johnson! I thought of this as "the late
    heavy bombardment"! :-) He even asked those who dared to say they did
    not believe in evolution to put up their hands, but of course no one
    (including me) did. It would be the kiss of death on further good marks or
    even passing.

    I found it all quite interesting and enjoyable and it confirmed to me that the
    core of evolution is just naturalistic philosophical prejudice (I assume that
    the atheist lecturer was completely unaware of this). The same evidence is
    better interpreted under the paradigm of a broad progressive creation. For
    example, I posted this post (with some minor changes) on the other List I
    am on: