Re: Scientists changing their philosophy to fit the data.

From: Loren Haarsma (lhaarsma@ursa.calvin.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 11:44:04 EDT

    Richard Wein wrote:

    > I hope you realize that IDers will use these as examples of how the
    > scientific consensus was proven wrong. And if it was wrong so many times
    in
    > the past, perhaps it's wrong again!

    I agree with IDers about some things. Along with IDers, I think that
    the current "scientific consensus" is wrong on two *philosophical*
    points.

    1) Many scientists today are philosophical naturalists. I think they
    are wrong about that.

    2) A majority of scientists believe that methodological naturalism is a
    ground-rule for science, a strong line of demarcation. They believe
    that any hypothesis about physical events or historical developments
    which include the possibility of extra-natural causation must
    _a_priori_ be rejected as unworthy of "scientific" consideration. I
    think they are wrong about that philosophical point. I've discussed
    this point in other posts, so I won't do that here.

    However, I essentially agree with the scientific consensus about
    scientific hypotheses of macroevolution (as opposed to the
    philosophical claims of evolutionism). Moreover, whereas many IDers
    claim that the primary motivation for the consensus about
    macroevolution is due to philosophical bias, I do not. I think that
    the primary motivation for the consensus about macroevolution is an
    honest scientific appraisal of the evidence.

    One purpose for my original post was to point out that the "scientific
    majority" *does* change philosophical commitments when prompted by the
    data. In my opinion, this fact casts doubt on the accusation, made by
    some IDers, that most scientists believe macroevolution simply because
    of philosophical bias rather than the data.

    Loren Haarsma