Re: The *fact* of evolution

From: Cliff Lundberg (cliff@cab.com)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 05:19:15 EDT

    Susan Brassfield wrote:

    >who believes in saltation? I was under the impression that it was discarded
    >nearly 100 years ago with the discovery of genetics.

    It's just an old-fashioned word for 'macromutation'. Mendelian genetics
    with its particulate model of inheritance answered the criticism based
    on blending-inheritance theories, that valuable mutations should be
    diluted and swamped out of existence after a few generations. I don't
    know of any other connection between genetics and evolutionary theory
    100 years ago. I would think that the model that preserves a wonderful
    mutation intact would not be a problem for macroevolutionary theorists.

    --Cliff Lundberg  ~  San Francisco  ~  415-648-0208  ~  cliff@cab.com