The *fact* of evolution

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 06:04:50 EDT

    Subj: Re: The *fact* of evolution

    Cliff:
    >Who are these people who claim to be 'materialists'? Do they really
    >use that term? Or is that just a term of your own you prefer to apply to
    >them for your own reasons?

    Bertvan
    Hi Cliff:I hate to call anyone anything without their permission, but I doubt
    Chris would object to being called a materialist. Maybe Huster. I should
    think neither Dawkins nor Dennet would be offended by the term. I used to
    argue on the Skeptics message board, and most of them readily acknowledged
    being materialists. Was it Carl Sagan who said "Matter is all there is or
    all there ever will be" or something like that. Surely the term materialist
    wouldn't be offensive to whoever said that. I should think most atheists
    would consider themselves materialists, wouldn't they? Most agnostics and
    people of any religion would not.
    Bertvan