Re: The *fact* of evolution

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 14:49:35 EDT

    From: Bertvan@aol.com

    >Many facts of history are in dispute, yet the historians don't take to the
    >courts to ensure only one version is taught. Historians are content to
    live
    >with a diversity of views. Even histories of religions manage to
    accommodate
    >different versions. Debate over the history of the Holocaust evokes great
    >emotion, but so far no one has tried to have the minority view legally
    >declared "not history".

    You're wrong. Some countries have laws against Holocaust denial. Here in
    Britain, we don't have such a law. But, in a recent libel case, I believe
    the judge, in his summing up, said something to the effect that the
    plaintiff, David Irving, a Holocaust denier, was not a historian. (I think
    the defendant had, among other things, attacked Irving's status as a
    historian.)

    If the law refers to religion (as your constitution apparently does), then
    it may well be necessary to ask the courts to decide whether something is
    science or religion. If unable to do so, the court would be unable to uphold
    the law.

    Richard Wein (Tich)
    "When I told people I wanted to be a comedian, they laughed at me. Well,
    they're not laughing now!" -- Bob Monkhouse, comedian.