Re: Note of appreciation

From: Susan Brassfield (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 15:12:15 EDT

    ><From Merriam-Webster: Religion: A cause, principle, or belief held to
    >with
    >>faith and ardor.
    >
    >How old is your dictionary? Any published in the last 20 years is
    >contaminated by new-age philosophy and (can't think of the word - the
    >dumbing down of America).
    >
    >The KJV of Dictionaries, Webster's Seventh New Collegiate, pub 1969 lists
    >your definition as (only) 4th. Not a very strong case.
    >
    >billwald@juno.com

    I get this definition quoted to me about twice a year. The first three
    definitions are *always* deleted. Wonder why? :-) With *this* definition
    not only is football religion, but so are my views on needlepoint.

    Susan

    For if there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing
    of life as in hoping for another and in eluding the implacable grandeur of
    this one.
    --Albert Camus

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/