Re: The Design Inference

From: billwald@juno.com
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 13:00:51 EDT

    Ok, my math isn't so hot but I did pass a college level class in
    statistics and probability. People like Dembski AND Sagan (both sides of
    the table) make the same basic error. Statistics ONLY applies to past
    events. If life developed on one out of a billion planets then it is a
    done deal and the only datum is that life developed on one out of a
    billion planets.

    Probability ONLY applies to future events. It is acceptable to discuss
    the chances of life arising AGAIN on another planet somewhere in the
    universe but it has nothing to do with the historical fact that there is
    life on this planet.

    In other words, the odds of a tossed coin comming up heads is 0,5 and it
    doesn't matter if you have just tossed 5 consecutive heads, the odds for
    every individual toss is the same.

    This Christian perversion (perversion by many people who wish to turn
    philosophy into science because science pays better <G>) of mathematics
    happens all the time . . . "The odd of Jesus being born in Bethlehm" (if
    comupted brfore the fact) . . . are about the same as the odds I would be
    born in Brooklyn, NY if computed before the fact.

    billwald@juno.com
    Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.