Re: Intelligent Design

From: Tedd Hadley (hadley@reliant.yxi.com)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 17:06:10 EDT

    Bertvan@aol.com writes
      in message <bb.31e0aee.2649bb31@aol.com>:

    <snip>
    > Dr. Larry Dossey has conducted experiments where
    > patients were unaware of who was being prayed for. Prayer was determined to
    > have a statistically significant effect.

       Could you be more specific? I couldn't find any published prayer
       studies conducted by Larry Dossey, although I'm sure he reports
       several in his popular books.

       In http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/gary_posner/godccu.html
       Gary Posner reviews a 1988 study and finds several problems that
       could account for the very slight statistical significance
       allegedly measured. Have there been studies since conducted
       with better controls?

    > Also the Princeton anomalies lab has determined that ESP has a
    > tiny but consistently measurable effect.

       Yeah, a whopping .02% of the time. Plus, they claim that the
       affect is not limited by distance (effect is produced even when
       experimenter is thousands of miles away); and that measured
       deviation in random generation can actually occur from affects
       in the *past* rather than present (effect occurs when experimenter
       concentrates on Monday, even though actual experiement doesn't
       take place until Friday). (What that means is that I can, right
       now, corrupt all future experiments at the Princeton Anomalies
       Lab by a mere act of will, skewing all results. There, I've
       done it. :)

       It wouldn't be responsibile to trust any of this until its been
       reproduced.