Re: DI goes to Washington

From: Susan Brassfield (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 13:07:24 EDT

    Wesley:

    ><http://www.usnewswire.com/topnews/Current_Releases/0508-102.html>
    >
    >It describes how "top scientists" from the Discovery Institute are
    >going to brief legislators on "design theory". Among those listed
    >as "top scientists" is William Dembski, whose views on politics
    >were posted on Meta-Views as:
    >
    >"The whole politicization of ID research associated with the "Wedge"
    >is something from which we want to distance ourselves."
    >
    >It looks more like Dembski is "going the distance" for the
    >Wedge than "distancing" himself from it.
    >
    >Another odd bit is how Dembski is described as an "Associate
    >Research Professor" at Baylor, yet various statements from the
    >Baylor adminstration had said that Dembski and Gordon were not
    >considered Baylor faculty. How does that work out to a
    >consistent stance?

    I think it works out to be quite dishonest. I'm also suprised that
    "usnewswire" could report the summit so uncritically. Not only was
    Dembski's title a factual error, but ". . . developments in science are
    turning up startling new evidence of purpose and intelligent design in the
    world." sounds like they merely reprinted the Discovery Institute's news
    release without any factual checking at all.

    Susan

    For if there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing
    of life as in hoping for another and in eluding the implacable grandeur of
    this one.
    --Albert Camus

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/