Re: DI goes to Washington

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 19:07:50 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Tue, 9 May 2000 12:14:26 -0500 (CDT), Wesley R. Elsberry wrote:

    WE><http://www.usnewswire.com/topnews/Current_Releases/0508-102.html>
    >
    >It describes how "top scientists" from the Discovery Institute are
    >going to brief legislators on "design theory". Among those listed
    >as "top scientists" is William Dembski...

    I thank Wesley for posting this. It shows the inroads the ID movement is
    making. Once policy makers become aware that there are genuine scientific
    objections to naturalistic evolution and rational arguments for and evidence
    of design, the Darwinists' carefully crafted stereotype that the only
    objections to evolution comes from a small minority of red-necked Bible
    thumpers will collapse like a house of cards.

    WE>....Another odd bit is how Dembski is described as an "Associate
    >Research Professor" at Baylor, yet various statements from the
    >Baylor adminstration had said that Dembski and Gordon were not
    >considered Baylor faculty. How does that work out to a
    >consistent stance?

    [...]

    On Tue, 09 May 2000 12:07:24 -0500, Susan Brassfield wrote:

    [...]

    SB>I think it works out to be quite dishonest. I'm also suprised that
    >"usnewswire" could report the summit so uncritically. Not only was
    >Dembski's title a factual error, but ...

    This is the usual discredit-the-opponent-so-hopefully-no-one-will-
    take-any-notice-of-what-he-says type of ad hominem that we have come
    to expect from the evolution side.

    Dembski's bio page on Baylor University's website, says he is
    "associate research professor in the conceptual foundations of
    science at Baylor University":

    http://www.baylor.edu/~William_Dembski/biosketch.htm

    WILLIAM A. DEMBSKI
    Biographical Sketch

    A mathematician and a philosopher, William A. Dembski is associate
    research professor in the conceptual foundations of science at Baylor
    University and a senior fellow with Discovery Institute's Center for the
    Renewal of Science and Culture in Seattle. He is also director of Baylor's
    Michael Polanyi Center, a research group that focuses on complexity and
    information theory and their implications for science and religious belief.
    Dr. Dembski previously taught at Northwestern University, the University
    of Notre Dame, and the University of Dallas. He has done postdoctoral
    work in mathematics at MIT, in physics at the University of Chicago, and
    in computer science at Princeton University. A graduate of the University
    of Illinois at Chicago where he earned a B.A. in psychology, an M.S. in
    statistics, and a Ph.D. in philosophy, he also received a doctorate in
    mathematics from the University of Chicago in 1988 and a master of
    divinity degree from Princeton Theological Seminary in 1996. He has held
    National Science Foundation graduate and postdoctoral fellowships. Dr.
    Dembski has published articles in mathematics, philosophy, and theology
    journals and is the author of three books. In The Design Inference:
    Eliminating Chance Through Small Probabilities (Cambridge University
    Press, 1998), he examines the design argument in a post-Darwinian context
    and analyzes the connections linking chance, probability, and intelligent
    causation. His most recent book is Intelligent Design: The Bridge Between
    Science and Theology, which appeared November 1999 with InterVarsity
    Press.

    [...]

    The Official Website of William A. Dembski sponsored by
    Baylor University, the Institute for Faith and Learning, and the Michael
    Polanyi Center.

    Page last updated 12.18.1999.

    Bruce Gordon's page says he is "Assistant Research Professor, Institute
    for Faith and Learning, The Michael Polanyi Center, Baylor University":

    http://www.baylor.edu/~Bruce_Gordon/vita.htm

    CURRICULUM VITAE
    Bruce L. Gordon
    Associate Director, The Michael Polanyi Center
    Assistant Research Professor, Institute for Faith and Learning
    The Michael Polanyi Center
    P.O. Box 97130
    Baylor University
    Waco, TX 76798-7130
    (254) 710-4175 (Office)
    (254) 710-3600 (Fax)
    E-mail: Bruce_Gordon@baylor.edu

    [...]

    TEACHING EXPERIENCE:

    Assistant Research Professor, Institute for Faith and Learning
    Adjunct Faculty in Philosophy, Baylor University, since 1999

    Philosophy 3345, 5320 - Symbolic Logic
    Philosophy 4353 - Philosophy of Language
    Theistic Belief and the Conceptual Foundations of Science
    (Colloquium for Faculty and Graduate Students, co-led with Dr. William
    Dembski)

    [...]

    The Official Website of Bruce L. Gordon is sponsored by
    Baylor University, the Institute for Faith and Learning, and the Michael
    Polanyi Center

    Page Last Updated 01/15/00

    In fact if you:

    1. go to Baylor University's home page at http://www.baylor.edu/;
    2. click on "Faculty & Staff" (http://www.baylor.edu/facstaff.html);
    3. click on "Academics" (http://www.baylor.edu/acad.html);
    4. click on "Michael Polanyi Center" (http://www.baylor.edu/~polanyi/);
    5. click on "The Directors" and both Dembski and Gordon are listed
    by the same above titles as follows:

    http://www.baylor.edu/~polanyi/directors.htm

    THE DIRECTORS
    page last updated 03.15.2000

    MICHAEL POLANYI CENTER

    [...]

    The Directors

    [...]

[...]

    ***

    Bruce L. Gordon is the Associate Director of the Michael Polanyi Center at
    Baylor University, and an Assistant Research Professor in the Baylor
    Institute for Faith and Learning. He completed his Ph.D. in the history and
    philosophy of physics under Arthur Fine in the Northwestern University
    Philosophy Department. Alvin Plantinga of the University of Notre Dame
    Philosophy Department was an external advisor on his committee. Other
    committee members were Laurie Brown of the Northwestern Physics
    Department and Thomas Ryckman, now an Adjunct Professor of
    Philosophy at UC, Berkeley. Dr. Gordon's academic background is varied.
    In addition to the doctoral degree, he has earned masters degrees in
    philosophy and systematic theology, and undergraduate degrees in applied
    mathematics and piano performance. He was a postdoctoral fellow in the
    Center for Philosophy of Religion at the University of Notre Dame before
    moving to Baylor University in the fall of 1999. Dr. Gordon's work ranges
    from an exploration of conceptual problems in quantum theory and
    relativity, to foundational and interpretational issues in the philosophy of
    science, the philosophical defense and technical articulation of design-
    theoretic models in physics and biology, the interaction between science
    and religion, the integration of faith and learning, philosophical theology,
    metaphysics, epistemology, philosophy of language, and philosophical
    critiques of postmodernity. At present he is working on a series of articles
    that will lead to a book on the implications of quantum statistics and
    quantum field theory for the metaphysics of identity, individuation, and
    modality. This project will be extended into a critique of materialist
    metaphysics, and have implications for understanding the role and function
    of divine providence in nature. Dr. Gordon is also a Research Fellow in the
    Discovery Institute's Center for the Renewal of Science and Culture.

    Wesley could have checked this up if he wanted too (assuming he hadn't
    already). And as for Susan's "dishonest" ad hominem, it is becoming
    something of a badge of honour these days!

    "So, too, with Darwin's theory that evolution was the result of, among
    other processes, the survival of the fittest, a belief qualified rather than
    destroyed by the development of genetics and biochemistry. 'Only one
    theory has been advanced to make an attempt to understand the
    development of life, the Darwin-Wallace theory of evolution,' he said as
    late as 1972, 'and a very feeble attempt it is, based on such flimsy
    assumptions, mainly of morphological-anatomical nature that it can hardly
    be called a theory.' And after dealing with certain evolutionary examples he
    added, with a vigour that would do credit to a modern Creationist rather
    than an accomplished scientist. 'I would rather believe in fairies than in such
    wild speculation.'" (Clark R.W., "The Life of Ernst Chain [Nobel Prize for
    Physiology & Medicine, 1945]: Penicillin and Beyond," Weidenfeld &
    Nicolson: London, 1985, p.147)