Hi, I'm new.

From: sticka@attglobal.net
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 22:49:01 EDT

    Hello. This is an interesting discussion.

    Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Brian. I'm a registered evolutionist. I also
    call myself agnostic because I think everything could be material or everything
    could be illusion. I find other possibilities difficult to believe, and I find the
    major world religions impossible to believe.

    I don't have time to send emails all day long, but I think it would be nice to
    bounce some ideas off you folks. I'd like to help the non-evolutionists change
    their minds, but I'd also like to see if the evolutionists, defined broadly, truly
    see the many perhaps disturbing implications of our belief.

    For starters, I'd like to ask the non-evolutionists a question about humanity.
    IMHO, one of the reasons that they dislike evolutionary theories is that it
    compromises their ideal of humanity. I'm talking about the old "I'm not a monkey's
    uncle!" routine. Of course, creationists also think that all humanity shares a
    common ancestry. So if Pigmies are related to Adam and Eve, I guess they'd agree
    that within humanity some diversity within our vast, beautiful species came about.
    The easiest thing in the world is to say that God made it happen via miracle. So I
    guess my question is can those of you who consider yourselves to be creationists
    admit to the clumsiness of your belief compared with the elegant simplicity of the
    natural selection mechanism?

    As for the materialist evolutionists, would you not agree that life, itself, is
    merely entropy playing itself out? Therefore, humanity's love for a moralistic
    historical narrative is unrequited. In other words, given the state of this world,
    the Holocaust, Stalinism, in fact all the things we identify as tragedy had to
    happen, and the "characters" can all be, shall we say, explained sympathetically.

    Thanks, and sorry for committing philosophy.

    Brian