Re: Did a forgotten naturalist beat Darwin to natural selection?, etc

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 13:24:05 EDT

    From: Stephen E. Jones <sejones@iinet.net.au>

    >http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=000113078204876&rtmo=ln7Hwlnt&atmo=llllll1
    x&pg=/et/00/4/27/ecfchik27.html
    >Electronic Telegraph. 27.04.00 ... She's a lot smarter than you think
    Although
    >chickens don't top the list of clever animals, their particular abilities
    are surprisingly
    >impressive ... although chickens might not top the list of clever animals,
    their
    >particular abilities are important - and sometimes surprisingly impressive.
    >Readers may be impressed by the chicken that learnt to peck a key to obtain
    access
    >to a perch suspended over a tank of water. It then crossed the perch,
    pulled a
    >string three times to unlock a door, turned right at a T-junction, and
    jumped across
    >water to reach a nestbox. ... In fact, most animals can be trained to
    perform
    >seemingly complex tasks with the promise of a food reward. The "clever"
    chicken
    >may not even have envisaged the final nestbox when it performed the first
    keypeck
    >of the sequence. Dr Christine Nicol, ... has been impressed most by how
    they can
    >teach, which has otherwise only been studied extensively in primates. ...
    [As more
    >animals are trained to perform impressive feats, the achievements of chimps
    may
    >not seem so special? The article also discusses suffering and emotions in
    animals.]

    As usual, anyone interested in any of the articles mentioned by Stephen
    would be well advised to read the originals, rather than rely on Stephen's
    butchered versions. Here Stephen conveniently omitted the following
    paragraphs:

    "They seemed to rate their chances somewhat better if the stranger was
    beaten by the dominant flockmate, and braved an attack on it in half the
    cases. Such "cleverness" comes as no surprise given the notorious pecking
    order among chickens, and the injuries they inflict. It shows how mental
    abilities are specific to a species's needs and evolutionary history."

    I can see why this reference to evolutionary history wouldn't suit Stephen.

    "These examples of chicken intelligence may not be on a par with guide dogs
    finding novel routes home, or communication among dolphins. They do suggest
    that chickens are not entirely witless - but wits are a separate issue from
    suffering."

    The first sentence tends to undermine Stephen's ludicrous implication that
    the feats of chickens are comparable to those of chimps, so it wouldn't do
    to include that one, would it?

    Stephen, I appreciate your links to interesting articles, but why don't you
    save yourself the trouble of editing them and just provide the links? Is it
    because the full articles don't support your absurd conclusions? If so,
    you're wasting your time, because your edited versions usually don't support
    your conclusions either!

    Richard Wein (Tich)