Re: Sociobiology

From: Marcio Pie (pie@bu.edu)
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 14:19:18 EDT

    Hi, Bertvan

    I think you're being unfair when you do these kinds of remark regarding
    sociobiologists, and I'll try to explain why. However, let me first
    clarify some points about my view on this issue:

    1. I also think that "adaptive story-telling" is not science and should
    have no place in evolutionary biology.

    2. I agree with you that "random mutation and natural selection" are not
    sufficient to explain macroevolutionary patterns, and I think that
    phenomena such as self-organization (Kaufman's "order for free") and
    self-organized criticality should be incorporated into the big picture.

    Now, sociobiology is much more than story telling. The example you gave us
    about altruism, what has been called kin selection theory, is one of the
    most successful areas in evolutionary biology for the last 35 years, both
    in terms of generating research and in providing testable quantitative
    descriptions of a wide variety of phenomena. I suggest you to check out
    any issue of the journals "Behavioural Ecology" and "Behavioral Ecology
    and Sociobiology", the leading journals in this field. The spectrum of
    phenomena covered by kin selection includes parent-offspring conflicts,
    sex allocation theory, inclusive fitness benefits, eusociality and many
    others.

    The problem arises when kin selection theory is simplistically or
    inappropriately applied to human behavior. This includes most of what has
    been called "evolutionary psychology." Human social and cultural behavior
    is in a level of complexity many orders of magnitude higher than anything
    else found in nature, and in many respects "gene-based" selection is
    largely irrelevant. The problem becomes even worse when information is
    distorted by the media to suit their purposes. Most of the opposition
    Edward O. Wilson (the "father" of sociobiology and a myrmecologist like
    myself) had to face came from misunderstandings or distortions of his
    ideas.

    Cheers

    Marcio