Cambrian quote

From: Susan Brassfield (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 12:38:11 EDT

    Stephen Jones quoted:
    >"Zircon dating, which calculates a fossil's age by measuring the relative
    >amounts of uranium and lead within the crystals, had been whittling away
    >at the Cambrian for some time. By 1990, for example, new dates obtained
    >from early Cambrian sites around the world were telescoping the start of
    >biology's Big Bang from 600 million years ago to less than 560 million
    >years ago. Now, with information based on the lead content of zircons
    >from Siberia, virtually everyone agrees that the Cambrian started almost
    >exactly 543 million years ago and, even more startling, that all but one of
    >the phyla in the fossil record appeared within the first 5 million to 10
    >million years. "We now know how fast fast is," grins Bowring. "And what I
    >like to ask my biologist friends is, How fast can evolution get before they
    >start feeling uncomfortable?" (Nash J.M., "When Life Exploded", Time,
    >December 4, 1995, p74.
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/archive/1995/951204/cover.html

    Wonderful article. I recommend everyone read all of it. Here's another
    quote just a few paragraphs above Stephen's tidbit:

    "What could possibly have powered such a radical advance? Was it something
    in the organisms
    themselves or the environment in which they lived? Today an unprecedented
    effort to answer
    these questions is under way. Geologists and geochemists are reconstructing
    the Precambrian
    planet, looking for changes in the atmosphere and ocean that might have put
    evolution into
    sudden overdrive. Developmental biologists are teasing apart the genetic
    toolbox needed to
    assemble animals as disparate as worms and flies, mice and fish. And
    paleontologists are
    exploring deeper reaches of the fossil record, searching for organisms that
    might have primed
    the evolutionary pump. "We're getting data," says Harvard University
    paleontologist Andrew
    Knoll, "almost faster than we can digest it." "

    Susan

    For if there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing
    of life as in hoping for another and in eluding the implacable grandeur of
    this one.
    --Albert Camus

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/