Re: Cambrian quote

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 18:00:58 EDT

    On Tue, 02 May 2000 11:38:11 -0500, Susan Brassfield wrote:

    [...]

    SB>Stephen Jones quoted:
    >SJ>...virtually everyone agrees that the Cambrian started almost
    >>exactly 543 million years ago and, even more startling, that all but one of
    >>the phyla in the fossil record appeared within the first 5 million to 10
    >>million years. "We now know how fast fast is," grins Bowring. "And what I
    >>like to ask my biologist friends is, How fast can evolution get before they
    >>start feeling uncomfortable?" (Nash J.M., "When Life Exploded", Time,
    >>December 4, 1995, p74.
    >http://www.time.com/time/magazine/archive/1995/951204/cover.html

    SB>Wonderful article. I recommend everyone read all of it. Here's another
    >quote just a few paragraphs above Stephen's tidbit:
    >
    >"What could possibly have powered such a radical advance? Was it something
    >in the organisms
    >themselves or the environment in which they lived? Today an unprecedented
    >effort to answer
    >these questions is under way. Geologists and geochemists are reconstructing
    >the Precambrian
    >planet, looking for changes in the atmosphere and ocean that might have put
    >evolution into
    >sudden overdrive. Developmental biologists are teasing apart the genetic
    >toolbox needed to
    >assemble animals as disparate as worms and flies, mice and fish. And
    >paleontologists are
    >exploring deeper reaches of the fossil record, searching for organisms that
    >might have primed
    >the evolutionary pump. "We're getting data," says Harvard University
    >paleontologist Andrew
    >Knoll, "almost faster than we can digest it." "

    Maybe Susan would also like this quote by the same author in an earlier
    issue of TIME on how hard it is to change the samer "genetic toolbox":

    "The drawback for scientists is that nature's shrewd economy conceals
    enormous complexity. Researchers are finding evidence that the Hox
    genes and the non-Hox homeobox genes are not independent agents but
    members of vast genetic networks that connect hundreds, perhaps
    thousands, of other genes. Change one component, and myriad others
    will change as well-and not necessarily for the better. Thus dreams
    of tinkering with nature's toolbox to bring to life what scientists
    call a "hopeful monster"-such as a fish with feet-are likely to remain
    elusive. Scientists, as Duboule observes, are still far from
    reproducing in a laboratory the biochemical artistry that nature has
    taken millions of years to accomplish." (Nash J.M., "Where Do Toes
    Come From?," TIME, August 7,1995, p.69.
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/archive/1995/950731/950731.science.html)

    I have no problem with sudden change by hox genes. My problem is
    how could a `blind watchmaker' ever do it, when even human intelligent
    designers can't? To me this is good evidence for intervention/guidance
    by a supernatural Intelligent Designer.

    "Aviation engineers look wide envy on birds and especially insects. Their
    flapping wings lift and propel them far more efficiently than the fixed wings
    of aircraft. One reason is their ability to exploit the subtleties of stalling.
    If the angle of attack of a wing is increased, it ultimately stalls, with sudden
    disastrous loss of lift. No fixed-wing aircraft dare risk stalling But an insect
    with oscillating wings can exploit an intriguing loophole in the laws of
    aerodynamics. Accelerated at a high angle of attack into the stalling
    regime, a wing takes a short while to stall. And until it does, it generates
    enormous lift. By speeding into stall and out again at each flap, an insect
    wing develops amazingly high average lift. (Jones D., "The insect plane,"
    Nature, Vol. 400, 5 August 1999, p.513).