Re: the role of sex in evolution

From: Tedd Hadley (hadley@reliant.yxi.com)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 12:56:02 EDT

    "Stephen E. Jones" writes
      in message <200004092210.GAA05235@popserver-02.iinet.net.au>:
    > Reflectorites
    >
    > On Fri, 07 Apr 2000 10:01:15 -0700, Tedd Hadley wrote:
    >
    > This is my first response to Tedd, so a belated welcome to the Reflector to
    > him from me.
    >
    > Maybe Tedd could tell us a bit about himself?

       I'm an ex-creationist, essentially, with mostly non-religious
       views. I don't have any specific academic credentials in
       evolution or biology, having my degree in CS.

    <snip>
    > TH>So [Maynard Smith] doesn't believe its an insourmountable problem
    > >for evolution, either, eh? I guess he's using "problem"
    > >differently from the way you're using it.
    >
    > Not really. What Tedd is here trying (maybe unconsciously) is
    > the old evolutionist trick of attempting to shift the burden of
    > proof onto the critic. If the switch is not detected, it no
    > longer becomes the evolutionist's job to shown how sex originated
    > naturalistically, it becomes the critic's job to show how sex
    > could *not* have originated naturalistically!

       No switch needed. I took you're original claim as exactly that:
       sex could not have originated naturalistically. So you didn't
       mean that. Okay. What did you mean?

    > I don't say that the origin of sex is "an *insurmountable* problem for
    > evolution". In fact I don't say that *anything* is an "*insurmountable*
    > problem for evolution." I don't rule out in advance that even
    > Darwinian `blind watchmaker' evolution, could be 100% true.
    >
    > Indeed, I have come to realise that even if fully naturalistic
    > Darwinian evolution was 100% true, it would not, by its own
    > admission, be able to predict (and therefore explain) from its
    > basic principles, the range of living things that we actually
    > have on Earth today:

       It would be able to predict a wide variety of living things
       (it is not clear to me how the fragment of the Popper quote
       has bearing on this-- maybe you'd like to flesh out his argument?)
       and even predict such things as sense organs, reproductive
       organs, etc., but, of course, all the tiny details wouldn't be
       known.

    <snip>
    > So Darwinian evolution could not even defintitely predict *anything*,
    > in particular.

       No, you've merely shown that evolution can't predict *some things*.
       You can't logically go from that to concluding that evolution
       can't predict *anything*.

       I'm skipping most of your quotes. While interesting, I believe
       they often do not fairly represent the views of the persons
       quoted, they lack enough context to be sure of the view expressed,
       and they do not take into account changing views over time or
       new discoveries. Now, if you want to refer to specific evidence
       or specific interpretations of evidence or specific lack of
       evidence in biology or evolution or make specific arguments
       related to your quoted material on this subject, I'll be happy
       to participate.

    <snip>
    > So, if there has been a change in that area since 1993-95, such that the
    > origin of sex is no longer "probably the most baffling topic in modern
    > evolutionary theory," I would appreciate Tedd citing the scientific
    > journal(s) article(s) which carried the news of that change.

       You've got a nice article on current discoveries and research
       on the topic right here:
             http://coldfusion.discover.com/output.cfm?ID=67

       I certainly wouldn't say the problem of the origin of sex is
       solved (at the very least, not until we have one theory rather
       than two or more), but I consider it very important to reference
       all the theories, evidence and research that it a part of this
       issue, rather than attempting to summarize it with subjective
       terms.

       Why not explain what specifically is baffling about the origin
       of sex to you and the implications that a failure to explain it
       have for your philosophy? Is it the difficulty in explaining
       meiosis or is there just no way that sex could arise in step-wise
       fashion, each step having a selective advantage?