Re: the role of sex in evolution

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 19:51:52 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 09:56:02 -0700, Tedd Hadley wrote:

    [...]

    >SJ>...Maybe Tedd could tell us a bit about himself?

    TH>I'm an ex-creationist, essentially, with mostly non-religious
    >views. I don't have any specific academic credentials in
    >evolution or biology, having my degree in CS.

    Thanks to Tedd for this.

    [...]

    >>TH>So [Maynard Smith] doesn't believe its an insourmountable problem
    >>>for evolution, either, eh? I guess he's using "problem"
    >>>differently from the way you're using it.

    >SJ>Not really. What Tedd is here trying (maybe unconsciously) is
    >>the old evolutionist trick of attempting to shift the burden of
    >>proof onto the critic. If the switch is not detected, it no
    >>longer becomes the evolutionist's job to shown how sex originated
    >>naturalistically, it becomes the critic's job to show how sex
    >>could *not* have originated naturalistically!

    TH>No switch needed. I took you're original claim as exactly that:
    >sex could not have originated naturalistically. So you didn't
    >mean that. Okay. What did you mean?

    What "original claim" is Tedd talking about? I made no claim that "sex
    could not have originated naturalistically".

    My claim is that sex *may not have* originated fully naturalistically.

    >SJ>I don't say that the origin of sex is "an *insurmountable* problem for
    >>evolution". In fact I don't say that *anything* is an "*insurmountable*
    >>problem for evolution." I don't rule out in advance that even
    >>Darwinian `blind watchmaker' evolution, could be 100% true.
    >>
    >>Indeed, I have come to realise that even if fully naturalistic
    >>Darwinian evolution was 100% true, it would not, by its own
    >>admission, be able to predict (and therefore explain) from its
    >>basic principles, the range of living things that we actually
    >>have on Earth today:

    TH>It would be able to predict a wide variety of living things
    >(it is not clear to me how the fragment of the Popper quote
    >has bearing on this-- maybe you'd like to flesh out his argument?)
    >and even predict such things as sense organs, reproductive
    >organs, etc., but, of course, all the tiny details wouldn't be
    >known.

    There is nothing to "flesh out". The simple fact is that Darwinism would
    not be falsified if we found another Earth-like planet with no life, or only
    primitive life on it, or even advanced life on it with no human-like life.

    Therefore Darwinism cannot predict the origin and development of life on
    Earth at *any* level, including the emergence of humans.

    As I said to Bill Wald, a general theory of Progressive Mediate Creation
    (PCM) can explain everything that Darwinism can explain and all the things
    that Darwinism cannot explain. It is therefore the better scientific general
    theory.

    [...]

    >SJ>So Darwinian evolution could not even definitely predict *anything*,
    >>in particular.

    TH>No, you've merely shown that evolution can't predict *some things*.

    No. I quoted Popper saying that Darwinism would not be refuted even if we
    found *no* species on another planet:

    "For assume that we find life on
    Mars consisting of exactly three species of bacteria with a genetic outfit
    similar to that of three terrestrial species. Is Darwinism refuted? By no
    means. We shall say that these three species were the only forms among the
    many mutants which were sufficiently well adjusted to survive. And we
    shall say the same if there is only one species (or *none*)." (Popper K.,
    "Unended Quest," 1982, p171. My emphasis).

    >You can't logically go from that to concluding that evolution
    >can't predict *anything*.

    I note that Tedd (perhaps sensing danger ahead?) changes the key word
    from the more specific "Darwinism" to the vaguer term "evolution", which
    could mean just about anything.

    But see above. Popper in effect said that *Darwinian* "evolution can't
    predict *anything*".

    I note also that Tedd ignores my crucial qualification "in particular"! I
    would be interested in what things *in particular* Tedd believes that
    Darwinian evolution can predict.

    TH>I'm skipping most of your quotes. While interesting, I believe
    >they often do not fairly represent the views of the persons
    >quoted, they lack enough context to be sure of the view expressed,
    >and they do not take into account changing views over time or
    >new discoveries.

    Tedd does not provide any *evidence* that the quotes I supplied: 1: "do
    not fairly represent the views of the persons quoted"; 2. "lack enough
    context to be sure of the view expressed"; and 3. "do not take into account
    changing views over time or new discoveries".

    TH>Now, if you want to refer to specific evidence
    >or specific interpretations of evidence or specific lack of
    >evidence in biology or evolution or make specific arguments
    >related to your quoted material on this subject, I'll be happy
    >to participate.

    That is indeed what I have done in this thread, and in my posts generally!
    If Tedd wants to "participate", or not, that is up to him.

    [...]

    >SJ>So, if there has been a change in that area since 1993-95, such that the
    >>origin of sex is no longer "probably the most baffling topic in modern
    >>evolutionary theory," I would appreciate Tedd citing the scientific
    >>journal(s) article(s) which carried the news of that change.

    TH>You've got a nice article on current discoveries and research
    >on the topic right here:
    > http://coldfusion.discover.com/output.cfm?ID=67

    TH>I certainly wouldn't say the problem of the origin of sex is
    >solved (at the very least, not until we have one theory rather
    >than two or more), but I consider it very important to reference
    >all the theories, evidence and research that it a part of this
    >issue, rather than attempting to summarize it with subjective
    >terms.

    Good. So given that according to Tedd's own quote: "One of the
    arguments currently dominating the competition" was admitted by its
    champion, "Michael Rose" to be regarded by other "people" (presumably
    meaning other experts in that field) as "possible, but...trivial." does Tedd
    disagree with Susan that "Sex is not a problem at all for evolution"?

    TH>Why not explain what specifically is baffling about the origin
    >of sex to you and the implications that a failure to explain it
    >have for your philosophy? Is it the difficulty in explaining
    >meiosis or is there just no way that sex could arise in step-wise
    >fashion, each step having a selective advantage?

    Tedd forgets that it was not me who said it the origin of sex was "baffling" - it
    was *Dawkins*!

    What Tedd is again trying to do here is shift the burden of proof. He wants
    me to say why *I* find it "baffling" so the problem can look like it is *my*
    problem, not Darwinism's

    As Leigh points out, this is how Darwinism achieved its dominance. Not so
    much by supplying its own explanation, as by "eliminating competing
    explanations":

    "The primary problem with the [modern evolutionary] synthesis is that its
    makers established natural selection as the director of adaptive evolution by
    eliminating competing explanations, not by providing evidence that natural
    selection among 'random' mutations could, or did, account for observed
    adaptation...Mayr remarked, 'As these non-Darwinian explanations were
    refuted during the synthesis ... natural selection automatically became the
    universal explanation of evolutionary change (together with chance
    factors).' Depriving the synthesis of plausible alternatives, which seemed
    such a triumph, in fact sowed the seeds of its faults." (Leigh E.G., Jr, "The
    modern synthesis, Ronald Fisher and creationism," Trends in Ecology and
    Evolution, December 1999, p.495)

    That's why this debate has never gone away and will never go away. The
    critics don't feel they have been beaten fair and square. Until Darwinism
    actually solves these "baffling" problems and wins the debate fair and
    square, this debate will continue on as a `war of attrition'.

    The more Darwinists continue to use the dubious tactics of trying to win by
    marginalising its opponents by rhetorical and political stratagems, rather
    than by the straighforward presentation of scientific evidence, the more
    the growing band of critics will assume that the Darwinists have something
    to hide.

    In the past Darwinists got away with this because they appeared to have
    the answers, they were not pushing their case among the general public,
    and their opponents were in the main disorganised and had difficulty
    gaining a hearing. But that is all changing.

    The general public is now becoming increasingly aware that there are major
    problems with Darwinism, the Darwinists are deeply divided among themselves,
    and the critics are not all red-necked Bible thumpers. Moreover some of the
    social implications of Darwinism (e.g. rape is adaptive, etc) are being made
    public and are being rejected as absurd.

    My prediction is that by the early 21st century the Darwinists will be unable
    to continue preventing the critical discussion of Darwinism's many problems
    in science classes.

    When that happens, there will be a need for alternative explanations to gain
    a hearing. Those alternative explanation will need to include both
    Intelligent Design and the various Creation models (OEC & YEC).

    When students are exposed to the problems of Darwinism, plus the evidence for
    Intelligent Design and Creation, the majority IMHO will reject Darwinism and
    opt for either ID ans/or one of the Creation models both. Then the damage that
    Darwinism and Materialism has wrought on society for the last 140 years can
    start to be repaired.

    "Sixthly, he would be surprised to hear, that the mechanism of the watch
    was no proof of contrivance, only a motive to induce the mind to think so:"
    (Paley W., "Natural Theology: or, Evidences of the Existence and
    Attributes of the Deity, Collected from the Appearances of Nature,"
    [1802], St. Thomas Press: Houston TX, 1972, reprint, p.5)