Re: Gene duplication and design [ was Re: Dennett's bad word ...]

From: Terry M. Gray (grayt@lamar.colostate.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 18:02:53 EDT

    I'll have no problem accepting Stephen's comments and in fact I do not
    doubt that IDer's, if they are Christian, do in fact regard the "canvas" as
    being designed. Dembski's quote shows that well. Thanks for keeping me
    honest, Steve. But, really, my point is made even more pointedly by the
    distinctions that Stephen makes. You see, rather than argue as Stephen has
    accused me in the following quote:

    >This misunderstanding probably arises and persists among the Theistic
    >Evolutionist/Evolutionary Creationists (TE/ECs) like Terry because they
    >deny that here is anything in the natural world which did not arise
    >naturalistically (ie. as the result of either law and chance).

    I want to to argue that in one sense nothing arises "naturalistically (i.e.
    as the result of either law and chance) and that everything is
    designed--even the flop of hair on my head or the arrangement of the sand
    on the seashore or the particular arrangement of gas molecules in the room
    at this particular point in time. This is what IDer's object to because
    then there is no difference between the special instance of design that
    supposedly cannot be explained naturalistically and the special instance of
    design that can be explained naturalistically. The want to use the term
    design to only apply to the former case.

    I don't have the time to find the old email where my ID discussion partner
    at the time--it may have even have been Stephen Meyer or Bill Dembski. But
    the upshot of the discussion was this very point. They did not want me
    calling everything "designed" because that takes the sting out of their
    special instance of design. I still believe that the heart of this debate
    lies in our attempt to treat God as human designer. We fail to see him as
    the sovereign Lord over every detail of creation. No human designer
    sustains the very being of his/her designed thing. No human designer gives
    to the designed thing the very properties that the designed thing needs.
    We're not dealing with artifacts here the way we would think about an
    archeological dig or SETI.

    Now I've often said that I'm willing in principle to accept a miraculously
    designed thing if I thought the evidence pointed to that, I still maintain
    that. (Although I don't think that there is any Biblical-theological reason
    to expect it in origins except wrt origin of human beings.) What irks me
    most about IDers is their appeal to passages like Romans 1 and Psalm 19 as
    suggesting their enterprise as if the heavens didn't declare the glory of
    God until Mike Behe told us about the irreducible complexity of molecular
    motors or as if God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine
    nature--were not clearly seen until Steve Meyer told us about the
    information content of DNA. Give me a break! These passage are talking
    about the canvas as a whole and the creation was doing its thing long
    before our detailed knowledge of biology came about. And these passages are
    not simply talking about knowledge that mankind didn't understand (at the
    time) as if the ancient psalmist was wowed into confessing God as creator
    but we wouldn't be today because we know alot more about stars than he did.

    TG

    Fort Collins, Colorado 80523
    grayt@lamar.colostate.edu http://www.chm.colostate.edu/~grayt/
    phone: 970-491-7003 fax: 970-491-1801