Re: Gene duplication and design [ was Re: Dennett's bad word ...]

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 01:36:32 EST

    Reflectorites

    On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 10:47:51 -0700, Terry M. Gray wrote:

    [...]

    TG>By my consideration everything is divinely designed. ID'ers don't like this
    >because it takes the apologetic sting out of their argument. In my opinion
    >that exposes the motive for the whole enterprise.

    [...]

    This is simply false. IDers do not deny that everything is designed. IDers
    are simply trying to focus on those specific instances of design which
    cannot easily be explained naturalistically (ie. as the result of law and
    chance).

    Dembski uses the analogy of a painting on canvas to make a distinction
    between different levels of design:

    "In its treatment of design, this book focuses not so much on whether the
    universe as a whole is designed but on whether we are able to detect design
    within an already given universe. The universe provides a well-defined
    causal backdrop (physicists these days think of it as a field characterized by
    field equations). Although one can ask whether that causal backdrop is
    itself designed, one can as well ask whether events and objects occurring
    within that backdrop are designed. At issue here are two types of design:
    (1) the design of the universe as a whole and (2) instances of design within
    the universe. An analogy illustrates the difference. Consider an oil painting.
    An oil painting is typically painted on a canvas. One can therefore ask
    whether the canvas is designed. Alternatively one can ask whether some
    configuration of paint on the canvas is designed. The design of the canvas
    corresponds to the design of the universe as a whole. The design of some
    configuration of paint corresponds to an instance of design within the
    universe. Though not perfect, this analogy is useful. The universe is a
    canvas on which is depicted natural history. One can ask whether that
    canvas itself is designed. On the other hand, one can ask whether features
    of natural history depicted on that canvas are designed. In biology, for
    instance, one can ask whether Michael Behe's irreducibly complex
    biochemical machines are designed. Although design remains an important
    issue in cosmology, the focus of the intelligent design movement is on
    biology. That's where the action is. It was Darwin's expulsion of design
    from biology that made possible the triumph of naturalism in Western
    culture. So, too, it will be intelligent design's reinstatement of design within
    biology that will be the undoing of naturalism in Western culture."
    (Dembski W.A., "Intelligent Design," 1999, pp.13-14).

    Terry's whole argument on IDers alleged "motive for the whole enterprise"
    therefore fails as based on Terry's own misunderstanding of what ID is in
    fact saying.

    This misunderstanding probably arises and persists among the Theistic
    Evolutionist/Evolutionary Creationists (TE/ECs) like Terry because they
    deny that here is anything in the natural world which did not arise
    naturalistically (ie. as the result of either law and chance).

    Therefore they need to portray IDers as claiming that not "everything is
    divinely designed" when the real problem is that TE/ECs maintain that
    there is *only* the "canvas" level of design. TE/ECs simply rule out on
    naturalistic philosophical grounds that there can also be a "painting" level
    of design superimposed on the "canvas". IDers OTOH don't deny that the
    "canvas" is designed. They simply affirm that there also may be a "painting"
    level of design which can be empirically detected by scientific methods.

    To avoid this type of misunderstanding, it would be a help if those making
    a criticism of ID, at least quoted something that a leading IDer has written
    on a topic under discussion, rather than just making it up off the top of the
    critic's head. That way, at least we would be debating something that IDers
    could be held accountable for.

    "Matter does not need special instructions to manufacture snowflakes or
    sodium chloride. These forms are within its power. Not so with organic
    forms. Thus living forms transcend all other natural forms, not merely
    because of their unique activities (see Chapter 2) but also because the laws
    of physics and chemistry alone cannot produce them. What does produce
    them? What cause is responsible for the origin of the genetic code and
    directs it to produce animal and plant species? It cannot be matter because
    of itself matter has no inclination to these forms, any more than it has to the
    form Poseidon or to the form of a microchip or any other artifact. There
    must be a cause apart from matter that is able to shape and direct matter. Is
    there anything in our experience like this? Yes, there is: our own minds.
    The statue's form originates in the mind of the artist, who then
    subsequently shapes matter, in the appropriate way. The artist's mind is the
    ultimate cause of that form existing in matter, even if he or she invents a
    machine to manufacture the statues. For the same reasons there must be a
    mind that directs and shapes matter into organic forms. Even if it does so
    by creating chemical mechanisms to carry out the task with autonomy, this
    artist will be the ultimate cause of those forms existing in matter. This artist
    is God, and nature is God's handiwork."(Augros R. & Stanciu G., "The
    New Biology: Discovering the Wisdom in Nature," New Science Library,
    Shambhala: Boston, MA, 1987, pp.190-191)